No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: heavy crystal shot glasses with hallmarked silver panel any ideas??  (Read 693 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
I picked a set of 8 shot glasses at the weekend and havent had any luck trying to get an ID on them
The glasses are made from crystal, very well made, i think mould blown, the base is almost flat, it has a slight indent although virtually flat. Really heavy base, the base of the inside (i think that makes sense) goes down into a central point, the tops have been ground and well polished.
One the front of each glass is a little solid silver disc with birmingham hallmarks, markers mark CFH and a cross with 2 0 0 0  in each section (i would presume they where made for the millennium and a symbol which looks a little like a curved anchor, jon thinks its a planet/space type of thing though.
I have found the mark on the internet but cant find any information with it (there are 2 CFH but neither seems to match my mark, one is 19th cent and the other is early 20th cent)
can anybody shed any light on these or any ideas on where to start  :huh:
they stand at 11.5cms tall, weigh 305g each
many thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
Re: heavy crystal shot glasses with hallmarked silver panel any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
If as you say there is an assay office mark (an anchor for Birmingham) and a maker's mark, there should also be a letter denoting the year.  I have looked at the third of your photos, but I'm afraid I cannot see any of the marks you refer to.  The general design does seem very late 20th century though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »
the marks are on the bottom left there is a oval shape with CFH then the 925 mark and the anchor mark next to that, there is no date letter but instead the number 2000 in a cross, so i would imagine they where made specially for the millennium?. I would imagine a large company had them made for staff or something like that. Im just intrigued as to the glass itself as they are well made and i thought it may have been a known shape?
I have found the same silver mark on this website http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-C.html around half way down the page but it gives no information on the maker, just that is was found on a dish in 1996.
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
heres another with higher MP on the camera

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand