Author Topic: Helen Turner for Pilkington Bros. - Royal Commemorative Medal  (Read 1023 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Helen Turner for Pilkington Bros. - Royal Commemorative Medal
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
Thanks for that Anne. I suspect they were winging it as Pilkington is based at St. Helens and it does mention "one of the group's factories". Surely they would simply mentions Pilks if it did indeed make it?

There's no doubt that Chance did make pressed items, and also made several commemorative items for Pilks, so I would still suggest Chance was the likeliest candidate.
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 06:43:30 PM »
As an update, Ray has clarified the position:

My thoughts and contacts were all with the Pilkington name, I know of no others.  As a Chief Engineer in the P.B. group we used to meet every month as a committee to further the engineering within the group.  The host works used to arrange for a visit around the factory before the meeting.  Consequently we got ideas and got to know what other works did.  As far as I was concerned they all made flat glass in all its forms apart from Fibreglass.  That is why I think C.Bs were the only works in the group capable of making these medals.
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »
Thanks, David, for putting so much time/effort into this attribution, as usual.  :hiclp:

And, as usual, if you ever want any high-res images for your own records or publications, then please let me know.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com