No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ORLAK  (Read 1429 times)

Offline sjyallop

• Members
ORLAK
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
hi all just joined forum, my wife was cooking my dinner and came across this dish in the cupboard and thought she would use it in the oven but was not sure if it was oven proof. so she looked on the internet and read a few bits about orlak and was too scared to use it, it is an octagonal dish with lid in excellent condition with a patent number which is 339484 does anyone think it is worth anything? i dont want her to use it in the oven until we find out a bit more about it (she is not the best of cooks)
any info would be good thank you
scott
p.s
im not sure but i think we got it from my 90 year old grandmother.

(Mod:  Photo's further down)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: ORLAK
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
Orlak is scarce but, like all glass, it really depends on the condition as to how valuable it would be to another collector (and this is determined by how much they are prepared to pay – no more, no less). However, oven-to-tableware was not always treated with the same respect as art glass, so mint condition pieces are not common at all!

Do you have the pattern number? It should be one or two letters, followed by three digits. The lid might have a different number. Also, some dimensions would be useful for my research, and photos would not go amiss either.

A typical number would be W203 (circular side plate).

However, since writing the book, I am finding that a few more pieces are beginning to surface, including a mint item with label (so never used) that will shortly be offered on the Glass Market Place.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline sjyallop

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
i have some pictures but no numbers apart from patent number 339484,i cant get the picture up here as the file is bigger than 125kb?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »
Here are sjyallop's pics:   :)
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:36:47 AM »
Thanks Max.

From the shape this could be a C103 base (p13 of my book). The dimensions I have noted for this are 9¼-in wide (across the flats) and 2½-in tall. The example I photographed definitely had the pattern number on it (apart from the tumbler, I think they all did), and this one did not have a lid either. Further information suggests that the base could have been sold with, or without a lid, which makes sense.

So it would be worth checking the lid and dish carefully. The numbers are quite small.

Any help is much appreciated - this particular jigsaw hasn't many pieces at the moment!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline sjyallop

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »
it sounds very much like the one your on about david, i have scanned the lid and base with a magnifying glass but cannot find the numbers. thanks for your help
scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand