No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Name of glass studio  (Read 5130 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Name of glass studio
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
I was also wondering if someone else put a signature on there as well.  Most of the time if there is a signature it will state who did the piece and it would not be a "Studio".  I consider "Studio" glass to be made by a Studio not a city such as Murano.

I don't doubt that your piece is Murano but the signature looks boggus to me, just to get more money by the seller to sell it a little higher by saying it is signed. 

Also, Gambaro & Poggi's murrina is very defined.  Meaning the murrina is not stretched.  I would considered Gambaro & Poggi's murrina work like the work of Ercole Moretti.  Both companies are highly regarded for their murrine work. 

I think your piece is generic but a nice generic with a fake signature.  I personally do not think that your piece is made by Gambaro & Poggi.

Here is an example of their work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MURANO-ITALIAN-ARTGLASS-MILLEFIORI-BOWL-GAMBARO-POGGI_W0QQitemZ220482308288QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3355c508c0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

tam bam

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 06:58:02 AM »
Tam Bam:

Did Gambaro and Poggi make their own murrines? (I say 'did" because I can't find any murrine work on their current site.) My impression is that the murrines are made by a limited number of companies, Ercole Moretti, being one.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »
I am not too sure if Gambaro & Poggi make their own murrines or not but I am willing to bet that they do since they are a full fledged glass house.  I was just comparing the quality of their murrine work with Ercole Moretti. 

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
David,

I found a piece on Ebay right now that is a great example of Gambaro & Poggi's work.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLEFIORE-GAMBARO-POGGI-SIGNED-GLASS-BIRD-BEAUTIFUL_W0QQitemZ110438631141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b6a7c6e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

See how well defined the murrines are.

tam bam

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
I wish my vase looked that nice.  thanks, Tam Bam, and everyone else.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
The murrine work of G&P and Campanella is very similar to me. Most pieces I have seen have fairly thick canes facing outward and covered with gold. The murrines in the vase in this post remind me more of those in the link I gave above. They are thinner and not all of them are facing outward. This is a good enough vase, though. Some of the poor quality millefioiri pieces look like someone stuck decals on the outside. This latter type of millefiori needs to be re-melted, IMO. I would definitely keep the vase in this thread out of the melt pile.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
Anita, I agree the murrina are very similar, but the gold coating on the Laguna vases is much heavier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand