No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a plug for 'British Glass between the the wars'.  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
a plug for 'British Glass between the the wars'.
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »
this is something from Sunday morning, and because of the partly worn mark which can be seen in one of the pics, prompted me to look thru my few books to try and decipher what came after 'E &....'.     -    there didn't seem to be much re Edinburgh Crystal.   So getting nowhere, I started to type the post, but then eureka found all the Edinburgh Crystal marks in a very useful little softback called 'British Glass betwen the wars'.   So now I know, and the book tells me this was their first acid mark introduced c. 1927 and on into the early 30's.    I admit my ego also wants to show the piece  -  a stunningly beautiful cut vase, probably about 1930, with this striking pale straw lemon colour, and whilst there is some wear on the base the rest of the piece is unmarked.            The answer to the missing part of the mark is.. "E & L"  -  referring to the Edinburgh and Leith Flint Glass Works.     I wud genuinely recommend this book, especially if you collect pre 1950's British glass, it is a very interesting and useful read.    Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: a plug for 'British Glass between the the wars'.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
Paul, I second your comments about this book, it's very interesting and useful. Not always easy to obtain but worth it if you can track a copy down.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »
Paul β€” Benson p.33 illustrates a flint 8ΒΌ" example with the apparently later mark "E&L / MADE IN SCOTLAND", which he dates to the 1950s.   Nigel will find your evidence interesting, as it opens up the possibility of this beautiful pattern being by one of the named designers used by E&L in the '30s.

What is the height of yours, Paul?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:18:39 AM »
What is the height of yours, Frank?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
My thanks to all of you for the positive replies.     The omission of the dimensions is unforgivable  -  particularly as I measured the vase – wrote down the figures, and then forgot to include these in the post!!   From memory I have a feeling that the height was a tad more than 8.1/4”  -  but as I am presently as work, I'm unable to check the details until early this evening (at home)  -  and I cud be wrong.    Will revert later today, and thanks again.    Paul S.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Click on product details on my link to go back to the detail view:

Coloured E&L cut glass seems to be as rare as hens teeth, interesting that the one in this thread is the same design. I have been looking to find others for a long time.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »
One of my most treasured books . :hiclp:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
I have now re-measured my example  -  and, trying to be accurate, have figures of 8.1/8" tall  x  5.13/16" at the widest  -  so it does appear that it is possibly the same size as the flint example being referred to in Nigel Benson's book...'Glass of the 50's'.     Obviously, another book I need to acquire.    It is easy to assume this piece is bigger that the ruler tells you, because of its chunkiness and weight  -  it really is quite a large lump  -  but what a lump!      It is also very intriguing that, as Frank comments, the only two pieces of non flint E & L he has seen are this identical design.   I wud be excited if we cud learn who indeed was the designer of this pattern  -   lets hope we do.    Again thanks for everyone's input.    Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand