No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Balboa  (Read 7112 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Balboa
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:47:22 PM »
I think this deserves it's own thread as it keeps cropping up.
Vasco Núñez de Balboa (c. 1475–January 21, 1519) was a Spanish conquistador who founded the colony of Darién in Panama, the oldest still-existing European settlement in the mainland of the Americas. He was the first European to see the Pacific Ocean.......
The Story of Balboa
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Vasco-Nu%C3%B1ez-de-Balboa
I can find no historical connection with Venice (Italy didn't exist then) and find it a strange name to be used in Italy / Venice  / Murano.

There is Art Glass Association of Southern California Glass Guild at Balboa Park, San Diego and note
WE SELL ART GLASS!!!!  We have a beautiful selection from 40 different artists.
I don't know what this proves if anything but it's kind of interesting

Some months ago Svazzo said
Know anything about the Decora or Balboa galleries?
I just bought a store sign in the form of a fish (satin) that has Balboa spelled out on its side. Its pretty amazing.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,642.0.html
but there was no response and no other mention of Balboa in that thread

In addition to the vase on Ebay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7359917898 there are a number of similar vases online:
Venetian Glass Balboa Vase, handmade in Italy, approx 12" tall
http://www.quaboagantiques.com/photos/venetianvase.jpg

Vintage Balboa VENETIAN Amethyst Glass Goblet
It has its original BALBOA Venetian Glass Hand Made in Italy label
http://pages.tias.com/208/PictPage/1922062097.html

A bowl on Ebay
VENETIAN ART GLASS 19 1/2" BOWL BY BALBOA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ITALIAN-VENETIAN-ART-GLASS-19-1-2-BOWL-BY-BALBOA_W0QQitemZ7316556290

These items previously seen online, now disappeared or in google cache only
1) Handmade pealized clear glass lamp shade and base, both folded conical shape with applied gold foil rigaree waves. Label VENETIAN GLASS BALBOA HAND MADE IN ITALY.
2)3 piece Vintage Italian Dresser Set labeled Venetian Glass "Balboa" Handmade in italy.

in another thread this exchange
Guest : Balboa was an importer of Murano glass in the 50's and 60's.
Ivo : That would explain why they're not in the official manufacturers listings. Where were they located? Anyone have a picture of a label
Guest:  So not an importer then - exporter maybe? 

I don't understand what lead toi this conclusion...

I doubt this gets us much closer but at least all the available info I have been able to find is in one place and hopefully we can move forward from here in a dedicated topic.
Pete

Anonymous

Balboa
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »
It sounds to me as though it is possible that Balboa imported glass from Venice rather than Murano.  I've seen their labels many times, on lower end pieces.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Balboa
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »
Hi everyone,
Yea, I had posted a topic on this a while back, because I bought a large store sign that said Balboa, and then I started seeing the label all over.

In my searches I came up with this site too - There is Art Glass Association of Southern California Glass Guild at Balboa Park, San Diego - but they have nothing to do with Italian glass, they are a cooperative of artists that live/work in Balboa Park San Diego. I emailed them to see if it had anything to do with the Balboa labels I found in my Murano pieces, but they replied that they had nothing to do with that. Also had no idea about the labels or any history connected with San Diego.

I have found the label in Fratelli Toso pieces, as well as Barovier and Seguso pieces recently. At first I thought it was only pieces by Toso that had the label but more and more pieces by other makers are appearing with the same label.

I also do not know the exact dates the label was in use, but by the pieces I have I would say the 50's - 60's seems accurate, and maybe earlier. Not sure though.

I will post the photo of the store sign I have (in the shape of a Fish), which I do not know who made it, but looks like a very special piece. If anyone has any documentation of the company, or catalogues, specific dates that can shed some light, that would be excellent! That would clear up many questions we ALL have right now. I know i've been very frustrated by the lack of info, lol. We need to crack this one!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Balboa
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 09:21:12 PM »
If he's not in the list of manufacturers and his label is found on known pieces from Toso, Barovier and Seguso then we can surely think in the direction of a retail label. And I would not be surprised if the shop turned out to be in Venice.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Balboa
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:17:15 PM »
Hi again!
This is the Store Sign which I was refering to:

The piece is very large, with remnants of 3 labels, 1 round, and 2 rectangles on the back, but it doesnt have the Oval "Balboa" label, which makes me think, as Ivo mentioned, that the piece was from a store in Italy itself. I really do not know who made the fish, but I just love it! It measures 12 1/2" long x 7" tall. When I see it it makes me think Venini, and even Bianconi because of the red applied lettering, but I have no idea.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand