No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature wrythen & celery-handled tankards - C19 Venetian?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Miniature wrythen & celery-handled tankards - C19 Venetian?
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
I've a full set of these miniature tankard-shaped  liqueur glasses with twisted celery handles and wrythen body, each averaging out at just under 2" / 50mm tall. I don't have an awful lot of reading matter on the subject, but they do seem in line, stylistically, with mid/late 19th century Venetian glass.

The quality seems exceptionally good, with the ribbing of the celery handle being very fine and crisp along every part. They have fire-polished rims, polished pontils and a fair bit of wear along the base rim. The glass is heavy, displays a lot of handmade variation, is slightly grey, and is slightly seedy in places.

Any clues to the maker, or alternative suggestions of age/origins, received gratefully.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Miniature wrythen & celery-handled tankards - C19 Venetian?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
Obviously the matching decanter is not there so the style of the cups is hard to pinpoint - but I would think Bohemian or French are just as likely as early 20th ct Venetian.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Oops, missed this thread.

Thanks for the additional suggestions, Ivo.

Dear Mods, might this perhaps, then, fare better in the 'general' section? Ta.

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the base?  I'd very much like to see how they were finished.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
No problem.

They're finished with a large polished pontil that takes up all but a thin rim of the base:

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture of the base so promptly!  Unfortunately it leaves me in an even greater state of doubt!!  You see, I have a small jug that has a similar "wrythen" pattern on the outside that I have so far not been able to identify - but mine has a hallmarked silver rim, and the hallmark is unmistakably Birmingham.  I'm not at home at present, so cannot post a photo of mine. However, the handle is from recollection, slightly different

In my jug, the "swirls" are carried on to the base, and there is no clear pontil mark, so I am not sure how the piece was finished; if it was, as I suspect, sheared off, the ground rim is covered by the silver mount.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:22 AM »
Could this be shifted to the main board, please? Thanks in advance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand