No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature millefiori vase - Fratelli Toso c.1960s?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Miniature millefiori vase - Fratelli Toso c.1960s?
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
I'm building a small fixation on miniature glass pieces of late, mostly Salviati, and this is my latest addition to the tribe.

I'm assuming Italian, and I'm thinking it's most likely Fratelli Toso. Most online references indicate that these miniature pieces were produced at the turn of the century, but the colour combination and flower-power simplicity of the canes say 1960s to me.

It's about 55mm tall, clear glass interior, pushed-in base with a neatly snapped-off punty.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Miniature millefiori vase - Fratelli Toso c.1960s?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
I agree not one of the early FT ones , does it have a shiny finish rather than satin ?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »
Sorry, Pinkspoons, but this isn't Fratelli Toso. My guess would be that it is a fairly recent (1960s or later) millefiori piece made by a company that will be very hard to track down.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »
Ah, well nothing's ever easy with the things I buy outside of my comfort zone, it seems! But I had no illusions that it was an old old piece.  ;D

I don't know an awful lot about this style of glass but, in broad terms, the quality seems fairly good (insofar as that I don't think it fell off the chugboat from China yesterday).

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
No idea who made it, but here's a friend for a bit of company. My jug-vase was acquired over 15 years ago as "an example of its type" [which is what most of my non-paperweight items are]. From rim to base it is 13cm / 5 1/8 inch.

The cane slices are identical to those in the vase although in mine the blue centre shows as larger with only a hint of a white surround. Each cane slice is set within the red, which is actually a coating around the outer part of the cane but when the cane was flattened out it looks like a regular(ish) red surface. Some of the canes in my jug show both ends with the red between, which highlights how the full cane was made. The vase has better setting of the canes than in my jug - mine shows obvious gaps in several places between the canes allowing the clear glass to show through.

The overall look is very shiny (even when it's dusty!) which I believe confirms mid-20th century.
KevinH

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
Yes Nic the FT ones are satin finish , yours could be Moretti and much later , somewhere i have a chart of Moretti canes i will look for it later . jp

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Thanks, JP. Moretti it is - I've just found this long thread concerning a vase utilising the same cane:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7651.0.html

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
Yes Nic the FT ones are satin finish , yours could be Moretti and much later , somewhere i have a chart of Moretti canes i will look for it later . jp

I have to add that, although FT is known for its satin finish millefiori pieces, it made some that had a glossy finish. The canes on these pieces still have the same uniform placement and the same types of canes, but they are shiny. One can feel the texture of the canes on the surface. I have had a couple of these pieces and have liked the glossy finish very much.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »
Please see this update to another thread, where the same cane as in Pinkspoons' item, and also seen in my vase shown in that other thread, is found as "Murr 21" in the Livio Campanello website.

Pinkspoons' item looks very much like a Perfume Bottle (but missing the stopper / dipper) shown as "c" in one of the Livio Campanello product pages (click on that image for an enlargement).
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand