No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Vase help ?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline ejean9

• Members
Murano Vase help ?
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
Hi all
This piece seems strange to me, perhaps as i havent seen/felt one like this ? The bottom colours feel like they are "stuck" on the glass, but the rest is smooth ? Has anyone else seen pieces like this ? (please be patient with me..im a novice !)
Jean

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Vase help ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
I love your vase. It doesn't strike me as being Murano, but it is hard to know for sure. I reminds me of some of the glass that I have seen from Mexico.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
Hi, thanks for replying..there is in fact a label on it which says "Made in Italy Murano Venezia" It looks like a new label as there is no fading ect to it..but as i say, i have never seen anything like it..wonder if it was a reject ?
Jean

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
Hi:

A photo of the label might help. When you say 'feel like they are stuck on the glass," do you mean that they protrude out from the glass? If so, this is a Murano technique called overshot. It looks like your piece was rolled on frit, small pieces pieces of glass. The glass can then be reheated, expanded and shaped, causing the frit to melt into the glass. In this case, the glass wasn't worked much after the frit was picked up. I don't think it's a second; I think it was designed this way. It's a piece I'd keep.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
Hi David
Thank you..thats exactly what i mean..protruding slightly but smooth..have attached pic of label..wow i had great day today..i picked up some lovely pieces of Murano !
Jean

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
sorry my pics arent coming up well..will try again !

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
Hi all
we have the same lable here..on the Murano lable gallery..page 7..3 along..2nd one down..looks very modern.
Thanks again for all the help.
Jean

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »
ejean9,  hi

as luck would have it, I have the same model sittting in front of me now,, I keep my pens in it  (sorry),

mine has the oval label,  blue with gold surround, generic made in murano.

My view is its modern, by whom,  no idea, be interesting to find out..
martin

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
Hi Martin...you keep your pens in it ? Shame on you !  ;D
it is one of those pieces i am not sure if i like it..i did find some nice pieces today thou..need to go now and see if some wise one can help me identify one of them !
Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand