No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More glass bricks/pavement lights/ashtrays?  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
More glass bricks/pavement lights/ashtrays?
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:49:41 AM »
Good morning all
I have some more items that were sold to me as ashtrays but I would like them to be wall bricks/pavement lights one of them in particular I have a huge suspicion is definately a wall light as it is embossed with Lumax and I can see from research that Lumax is a lighting manufacturer/distributor.  The dark green one I really am not sure.  One of them you may recognise from a previous topic.  Please could you comment as item 1, 2 and 3.

Item 1 previously discussed 13.5x13.5xapprox5.5cm with prism interior mint/aqua colour
Item 2 embossed with Lumax I have two of these just over 11x11cm and height 6cm clear but with a very slight tinge of green
Item 3 no markings 11x11x3.5cm dark green with sloping interior and double band.

Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: More glass bricks/pavement lights/ashtrays?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:11 PM »
The Lumax looks a bit to massive production for any of the various and relatively young lighting companies using Lumax as a name/trademark today. It could still be an promotional ashtray. Was used by Ceag Limited (UK) in 1950/60s (Car lighting). Also used in US, France and Germany and is a name that could have been in use for a long time although it does not yet figure in my lighting maker database. Signs of wear? Bigger images might help.

The green thing looks a bit like a counter tray but odd it lacks a name and has the central ridges.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »
I hope these are better pictures of the lumax one.  I have pictured the one with lots of wear on but the other shows hardly any.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
Sorry I also meant to ask what is a counter tray.  I researched it but all I can find is something to do with beverages which makes no sense to me.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
Try searching on "glass change tray" or "glass change advertising tray".   There are usually some on offer.

Is there a slot in the middle that would hold a menu card?   In which case it could be a dual function menu card holder and ashtray, like the Dunhill Prong Ashtray, see here.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
Hi no there is no where for the menu to go, the band in the middle would not hold a hair never mind anything else.  I will go check out the change holder that is more feasible.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »
The rim around the bottom of the Lumax is odd for an ash tray although the wear is consistent with such a use. It is really too thick to be a lighting component so I would tend to stick with advertising ashtray.

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:25 AM »
I would like them to be wall bricks/pavement lights one of them in particular I have a huge suspicion is definately a wall light as it is embossed with Lumax

Margi,

IMO, you are very near the mark with the Lumax items, but suspect they are pavement lights rather than wall lights or ashtrays. The flange/rand would allow these to be pushed into a steel (or more likely cast-iron) frame, with a thin layer of cement/grout, the flange actually sitting on grout and within the frame. Frame would then be put in position, flanged, flat side up,(ie, pedestrian friendly surface), permitting light to pass from trottoir vers cellier. Allegedly, these were designed in 1930 by the French and Swiss architect-designers, Charlotte Perriand (Fr) and Le Corbusier (Ch) in 1930, so architectural use is more than possible, and likely to have been of contemporary french manufacture.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »
My guess is that two of these are not pavement lights since they do not have any sort of ridges on the sides.  The modern sort of pavement light (post-1900 or so) were set in concrete instead of iron frames, and to aid adhesion and to keep them from being able to slip out of their sockets, they have ridges in the glass, much like Isorex insulators have interior ridges where they are cemented.  Here is a pic of three typical pavement light lenses:

Modern glass wall blocks have lips at the edges and are not completely smooth either for the same reasons.  Your Lumax block does have a small ridge, and  4" square is about right for pavement lights.  It has a clean sort of modern look like the post-1940s UK style.  The name Lumax is of course a large hint that it's meant to transmit light somewhere, somehow.

Take a look at  Watchrod's pavement light here.

--ian

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
The rim around the bottom of the Lumax is odd for an ash tray although the wear is consistent with such a use. It is really too thick to be a lighting component so I would tend to stick with advertising ashtray.

My experience with pavement lights is that the leftover ones tend to end up to people's desks are paperweights, and one like this would be perfect for storing paperclips or loose change etc-- so they tend to see wear patterns different from those that actually saw service.

I've bought them as "ink wells" before, and various other things, but mostly "paperweights".  Your worn Lumax seems to have more wear inside that mere paperclips would cause, but that's still my guess.  But, 50 or more years of loose change or pens or souvenir vacation pebbles might do it-- time will wear anything down.

How thick is the "bottom" of the Lumax?  To be a pavement light, it would have to be heavy.

--ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand