No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nouveau style glass vase - ID = Kralik "Sea Urchin"  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Nouveau style glass vase - ID = Kralik "Sea Urchin"
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Hello again everyone, been very busy doing real work lately but should have time to take the pics that I promised people yonks ago very soon. ::)

I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about this little vase, about 5 inches tall with some wear to base, very organic looking. Also I was surprised to discover that it is strongly UV reactive. Probably shouldn't have been surprised but there you go! Cheers, Gill

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12068

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12067

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Nouveau style glass vase
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
Most probably Bohemian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »
to me that looks like the lower part of a long necked vessel which has been reworked. The shape is not logical, and the pattern is interrupted. But who knows. maybe they actually made it like that. ...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:38:46 AM »
I have to admit I wondered about that

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks for that, now I come to look more closely there does appear to be a slight slant across the top but does appear to be finished nicely.  Any ideas as to ago, could it described as "art nouveau?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
I agree.. Bohemian and I would say early 1900's. I would lean towards Kralik based on the shape at the bottom and the pattern style, but it is tough without seeing the whole vase.   I have seen the mold pattern before but I can not remember where. I will post it if I remember or find it. IMHO it has been, in all probability, cut down due to damage.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »
Looks like a Kralik "sea urchin" vase to me, "sea urchin" was coined by Alfredo for this pattern and seems to have gained acceptance from us C1900 Bohemian collectors, Cheers Wayne.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »
Hi Wayne, That is indeed what it is... I knew I had seen the pattern, but the piece on Alfredo's site is in a different glass and does not appear to be anywhere near as well defined... at least that is how it looks in the image.....  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »
Hi Craig, granted the one on Alfredos site is the usual colour and type of finish for this pattern but i have seen other colours. On Loetz.com on page 4 of the Kralik section there are five examples one in pink even, also as they were blown into a mould to take on the pattern then sometimes blown, stretched and shaped out of the mould the surface pattern can loose definition on some pieces so they can look slightly different. Also Gills vase has a very characteristic type "Kralik" bulge on the bottom, i dont remember seeing one quite like it but its a very Kralik like lower form if that makes sense. Cheers Wayne.

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
Thank you everyone, I must admit that this little bit was saying,"Kralik" to me although I know very little about this sort of glass.  Rather chuffed to discover that I'm probably right and that I spotted it at boot sale.  Thanks for the lead to the Loetz site.  Brilliant.  It's been well worth the 50p I paid for it it educational value.
Maybe next time I'll get a whole one.  MUst remember to look out for bits being cut off :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand