No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: nason/picasso glass sculpture  (Read 5173 times)

Offline twindragon

• Members
nason/picasso glass sculpture
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
I am looking for more information about a piece of signed glass sculpture
it was produced in a foundry closed in the 40s and was in ermanno's posession until the 90s
then purchased by myself at a murano studio

i was told that it had been wrapped in newsprint at his home .....they purchased it directly from him and i have a signed photocopy by nasson confirming the validity of the piece

i am happy to foward anyone a photo as my file is to large for this post
thanks for any help

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: nason/picasso glass sculpture
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
Photograph now attached:   :)
I am not a man

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:34:02 AM »
A fascinating piece of art.

I'm making a few assumptions here. I'm assuming that the signature says Picasso, and the Ermanno was Ermanno Nason. I'm assuming that you're asking if it's possible that this is genuine. It is definitely possible given the information you provide. Ermanno Nason carried out designs for Picasso, amongst others, while he worked at IVR Mazzega, who produced the glass in collaboration with Funcina degli Angeli, in the years 1953-9. There are pictures of a few pieces by Ermanno following designs by Picasso, Cocteau, Leger, and others in Marino Barovier, Venetian Art Glass. The 1940's date doesn't make sense.

Is it genuine? I wouldn't even hazard a guess. I think you'd need to find a very reputable dealer who is used to dealing with very high end pieces of glass in order to answer that question. Dr. Fischer in Germany, Rosella Junck in Venice, and Dan Ripley in the States spring to mind, although others on the board I'm sure could suggest more. Generally, the glass shown on this board won't have a value in the thousands. This would, if it's genuine.

I'd love to hear what you find out about the piece.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
Max is there any chance of a larger photo? I would love to have a closer study of this piece.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »
Twindragon, if you can send me a larger photo/s, as an attachment this time rather than embedded, then I'll gladly put more photos up to help.   :)

maxeen   AT  aol.com

I am not a man

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »
Wowee!!!!!!!!!  I do think you have something there!!!!!   I found this when I googled Nason for Picasso.  

http://catalog.quittenbaum.de/object_detail_Skulptur_flamenco_Picasso_Pablo_28nach29_Mazzega_I_V_R_Murano3B_Nason_Ermanno_Murano__48678__list_objects__M_085B__0__eng

I am wondering if you have a Mazzega piece when Ermanno Nason worked for them.  That is awesome.  We don't get too many pieces like yours on the forum.  

I think everyone is correct.  I would find someone to tell you for certain and have it appraised.  Your piece may be museum quality Murano.  

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »
I found this as well after doing some more looking around.  This is piece sold at Christies for a whooping $18K.  That is unbelievable but of course that was back in 2000.  If yours is real I imagine it didn't loose too much value when the economy sank since it is a rare piece and all.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1933816

Perhaps you can contact Christies and see if they have someone there who could look at your piece.  I do believe you have something quite special in your hands.  I would kill for a piece like yours.

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
I found this as well after doing some more looking around.  This is piece sold at Christies for a whooping $18K.  That is unbelievable but of course that was back in 2000.  If yours is real I imagine it didn't loose too much value when the economy sank since it is a rare piece and all.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1933816

Perhaps you can contact Christies and see if they have someone there who could look at your piece.  I do believe you have something quite special in your hands.  I would kill for a piece like yours.

BTW, what does the signature say?  Does it say Picasso or Nason?  Just curious.

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »
Sorry didn't mean to repost the same auction.  I will try and find the other piece I found by Nason and try it again.

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand