No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art nouveau/Arts and Crafts vase, maker info please ID= Stuart & Sons  (Read 5803 times)

Offline pwayne

• Members
Hi Folks,
 I spotted this Art Nouveau/Arts and Crafts vase in the US and repatriated it back to England. Anyone know  the maker, i suspect either Stuart or Powell but as its not really my speciality i thought i would ask and try to pin down a maker. The vase stands 5 3/4" tall and is 8 1/2" in dia. Cheers Wayne.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Art nouveau/Arts and Crafts vase, maker info please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
I'd be worried about the hard glare iridescence, the absence of wear on the stand ring and the donut prunts - none of which points at Art Nouveau.

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
Hi Ivo,
 No the vase is not iridescent, and the trailed decoration protrudes from the base to the pontil and they have taken all the wear, Its period glass and yes i agree more Arts and Crafts than Nouveau, we were more restrained over here, but it would still could be classed as Nouveau over here. Cheers Wayne.

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
I see why you thought it was iridescent now, its reflections from the telly, the wife was watching the Simpson's while i was taking the pics!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
In some ways I hope I'm wrong about it being a recent piece. Because if it isn't it's a cuspidor.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »
If it is it's enough to make one spit,beautiful piece though,Keith

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Ah so an Arts and crafts spittoon then, something to hawk in whilst doing a bit of Repoussé work on your copper charger, thanks chaps, any guesses at a maker Keith. 

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
It reminds me also of Stuart although their pieces seem lighter with a peacock feather type design,Powells I'm not familiar with but there are plenty out there that will know I'm sure,Keith.

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »
I don't think it's recent. the color and shape remind me of a stevens and williams piece I recently saw with a line drawing. it's not exactly the same but the color and basic design is similar. I agree though, older English.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 03:55:52 AM »
Stuart is the first that comes to mind, but as you'll see in the following threads, many companies were responsible for similar pieces with the peacock feather decoration.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24368.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,76.msg219.html#msg219
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1901.20.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand