No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance, question for David,  (Read 1251 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Chance, question for David,
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
Got these bowls today(minus lids) and noticed that although both 4.75 ins across the one has a ringed foot the other a 'bird-bath' the later just over 2 ins high the 'ring' footed just under 2 ins,is the 'bird-bath' later or a copy?Also did Chances ever do blown pieces?got a swan today(£1) and the dealer swears it's Chances,Keith.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Chances,question for David,
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
Spiderweb was made both before and after the war; the explanation is probably just a mould difference (post war less glass because of cost cutting. Eee here for an example of what I'm saying).

Your swan is possibly made at Chance. The workers are known to have made them, and other items, as foreigners in their own time. A picture would help to eliminate anyone else but might not rule Chance in, if you see what I mean.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Chances,question for David,
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
I see what you mean,shame I couldn't get the lids,here's a picture of that dodgy swan,very thin 9.25 inches high.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Chance, question for David,
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
It may be, but I have no way of telling if blown ones were produced. The only ones I have seen are solid, ranging from quite delicate to really chunky. This one could be a frigger, and assuming Midlands-based it could possibly derive from Stourbridge?

I'll ask Ray Drury, but it might even date before he started (in 1948).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Regarding the Spiderweb bowls (assumed to be dessert bowls, which never had lids), I have found very rare examples with a birdbath base, but not yet in clear. The ones noted so far were a large amethyst bowl and a smaller graduated opaline bowl - both like hen's teeth. They both have the hallmarks of Spiderweb, but no-one can determine how, or why, they were made. All of Chance's pressed domestic glass output was clear, so these two anomalies are very, very odd (see p.17, my book).

However, the appearance of a clear model, if it conforms in dimensions to the others and has the same seam marks, could possibly clinch it as definitely being made by Chance. A good find from a technical stand-point!

MODS: is it worth splitting out the 'swan' posts? Thanks.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
Thanks again,done some measuring,both bowls are 4.75 ins across with the same amount of bands and ribs.
the ring footed base is one and 7 eighths across and half inch high,
the 'bird-bath' base is one and 5 eighths across and 5 eighths high therefore this one is one eighth of an inch taller.
Yes please to splitting out the swan post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand