No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union ashtray? - ID = Rudolfova Hut  (Read 3143 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Is this Sklo Union?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
I didnt know they where UV reactive... just tried mine and my ones not UV reacitve though, so obviously not all of them are
michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »
Stu it would surprise me if they were uranium, though. Earlier production (pre-war) from these factories in green maybe. What you are almost certainly seeing is a dull green glow best seen in the dark. That is caused by manganese, which was used as a decolorising agent until it became too expensive, yes even in coloured glass.

Uranium gives a knock your socks off bright green in daylight, although it's sometimes hard to see in bright sunlight. Your Bagley Wheatsheaf might have been a better bet. Although all green Bagley does not contain uranium, only older stuff and some ranges are found in both.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Great information Christine, as ever.  :thup:  Thanks for that.

The manganese sounds spot-on, as they don't glow as I imagined uranium would (have still to actually see this ::) :))

Oh well, I will keep on searching.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »
You'll know when you find it. Took Michelle a while to see the light (the right one)  :24: :24: Just keep waving your torch at green and yellow/green glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand