No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Bullicante Gold Foil Bowl...Label...  (Read 2490 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Blue Bullicante Gold Foil Bowl...Label...
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:09 AM »
Hi all...silver foil label...Genuine Venetian Glass Made in Murano Italy...has a pattern of ~o~ around the edge of the label...may have been scalloped edged...some wear to the label...plenty of gold foil...pale blue encased in clear glass...triangular polished base...any possible id help or help with the label???...i don't have copy of the label in any of my books... :-[...many thanks...

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Blue Bullicante Gold Foil Bowl...Label...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:42:54 AM »
Certainly one of the more unusual pieces with such a label. Perhaps you'll be lucky and somebody will recognize it. Have you checked the Murano label library on GMB? I can't see the label in the photograph clearly enough to tell for certain, but it looks like it might be file 71, 88, or 117 in that list. They are all variants of the one label.

My take on these labels is that they're never going to provide you with enough information to take you any further than saying it's Murano. If you're a collector, I'm not sure this is much of a problem because presumably we're collecting glass not labels. What's important to me  is deciding whether I like it, and I find out by looking at the piece itself. For me I'm looking for a combination of form, colour and technique. It's not even related to cost. I love a huge dish, maker unknown, I bought for $8.99 almost as much as my Barbini Pezzato vase, which cost a little more.

If you're a seller, then I see the difficulty these labels cause. I understand that buyers want their purchases to be from one of the big makers. Even then, most of the houses also produced tourist glass to make a profit. I'm not sure there are many companies that have made a profit from the sale of exhibition standard pieces. The irony is that at present there are quite a few pieces from good companies, Fratelli Toso and Seguso, for example, surfacing without labels at very reasonable prices.

I think I suggested to Anita (TxSilver) either here or in an email that we should replace "generic," which is term that turns people off as quickly as telling them that their kid is average, with something like PNA, Piece Non Attributable.  Then we could focus on the glass itself.

My, I've had my little rant for the evening. See what happens when there's nothing on the PVR?

BTW, I think this is a very nice piece. Solid, nice colour and flow, good use of bullicante and gold. I'd love it on one of my shelve,k whoever made it.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:28 AM »
Might be a worn Segusu VDA label. Certainly the shape is roughly similar. The piece has a look about it of SVDA anyway.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
Ardy:

Do you mean the label pictured below? I thought Kane, who is anything but a pane, wrote that label said, "Genuine Venetian Glass Made in Murano Italy...has a pattern of ~o~ around the edge of the label...may have been scalloped."

I don't think it looks like SVA, at lest the ones I've seen. Oh, I wish that promised book on SVA would appear and solve all our problems.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
That was a rant... :24:...more interested in info on my pieces if it is attainable...hence the reason i am here...i forgot to add the dimensions as well...5cm high 16cm in approx length...i also think it is an extremely well made piece of glass...annoying how we can't identify pieces so easily...ARGH!!!...

I also checked the murano labels...and mine is not listed...would be interesting to see if anyone else has a piece with that label...i have never seen ~o~ around the rim of a 'generic' murano label before...i wish i had a piece with that Seguso label... :P

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
I forgot to add lang...it is a silver foil label...and what might have been white/silverish colouring writing (quite faded)...to read it properly and see the detail i have to slowly reflect it in the sun...my wipe downs of this piece are very careful...for label protection....

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
Ardy:

Do you mean the label pictured below? I thought Kane, who is anything but a pane, wrote that label said, "Genuine Venetian Glass Made in Murano Italy...has a pattern of ~o~ around the edge of the label...may have been scalloped."

I don't think it looks like SVA, at lest the ones I've seen. Oh, I wish that promised book on SVA would appear and solve all our problems.

David

Yes David there are some silver ones around and I just guessed it might be a worn one of those. Still have no idea about the o around the edge. This may be headed for unattributatable. Matbe if Kane can give us a close up of the label it may help, but only 'may'
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »
Sorry ardy...no can do...due to the silver colour of the label and the faded colouring of the writing...it is impossible to capture it... >:(

Hopefully someone else will pop up with a piece with a similar label eventually... ;D

I must have the most obscure art glass collection... :24:

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
If it is well made and possibly by a master, then obscure is good, very good in my book. You can buy them at a reasonable price and you are in a better position to snag a big one.

good luck.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »
Always at a good price  ;D...except for some of my Whitefriars (50% of them anyway)...shame no english car boot sales in OZ... :24:

It is a great piece...and i think it is one of the better pieces...the gold foil in it has been worked in wonderfully and the bullicante is flawless...shame i can't capture it better...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand