No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Bathroom Bowl?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Seguso Bathroom Bowl?
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:04:37 AM »
Hi I bought this recently it is part of Alison's perfume etc collection. I think it is Seguso and certainly looks like it, still with all the copying that went on I am starting to wonder about everything I buy.

It is 110mm high and 120mm wide and weighs 1.2kgs. There is the glue from a label where you can read made in murano but cant see the scolloped edge I was hoping to see.

As usual I hold my breath and wait.

regards to all.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Seguso Bathroom Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Great depth of colour on that ardy...could you take some more pics???...not my style of glass...but to me has a wonderful organic feel...could you please show more of the bullicante...maybe removing the lid and taking a pic of the inside of the bowl...i must admit i don't know who it is by... ;D

-I was watching To Catch A Thief today...spotted the most wonderful coloured pale green bullicante shell bowl in a scene...LOL...during the last robbery scene just before she gets busted by Cary Grant...

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
That's an interesting item Ardy.  The lid doesn't seem to fit very well to my eyes.  Is the flat part of the lid similar in technique to the knop and base part?  It looks almost clear glass in your photo?

I am not a man

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
I noticed that...or was it just the flash of the camera...maybe someone separate pics of the lid as well...

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
Hi the lid is clear with a handle colour matching the base and that could be why it doesnt appear to fit although looking at it the edge join is perfect the top has a rounded edge. The whole thing is very heavy including the lid and it just oozes quality. I would love to have the other parts ie the perfume bottle and the other bottle.

This is the photo of the inside:
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
The jar certainly does strike me as Archimede Seguso. Is the word Murano in the middle of the label? It looks like it is, but I may just be imagining.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
I am thinking Archimede Seguso as well.  It really doesn't strike me as a copy but who am I to say.

No matter who made it, it is a great piece!

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
Hi Anita and Tam Bam

Yes it does read Made in (T)- Murano (M) - Italy (B) in the glue thats left on the base and it looks vaguely like a Seguso label ie right size and round but I cant quite make out the scolloped edge I was hoping to see as the edges of the glue are missing.

I have a close up of the glue left from the label but not sure how well it would reproduce here.

regards
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »
That's an interesting item Ardy.  The lid doesn't seem to fit very well to my eyes.  Is the flat part of the lid similar in technique to the knop and base part?  It looks almost clear glass in your photo?

Hi Max I looked at a few Archimedes S powder bowls last night and I see what you mean about the lid. The others all come to the edge of the bowl whereas this one finishes before the edge. The lid certainly was made for it, the chances of finding a lid exactly the same colour and finish must be very small (I know I have been looking for a stopper to another Archimedes piece I have).

The only thing for me is that I cannot clean the inside of the lid properly. It has some - looks like water/makeup marks- on it and I have tried several methods to clean it, all with no success. Doesn't detract from it but it is annoying as it looks as if it should be easy to clean.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand