No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Seguso Piece - anyone seen this form?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Another Seguso Piece - anyone seen this form?
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »
This Seguso vase didnt have me bouncing off the ceiling, but as it appears to be a piece by him and is in good condition, it has a spot in my collection. Anybody seen this form and maybe know what it is called?

All ideas welcome, including 'it aint Seguso' - mostly, maybe or tell me quietly please.

It is 350mm wide, 120mm high and weighs 1.625 Kgs
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Another Seguso Piece - anyone seen this form?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:48:03 AM »
Hi Ardy, Although I have not seen the form before, the label is definitely one attributed to Seguso....... So you are off to a good start..   :hiclp: :hiclp:

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:51:54 AM »
Yes ardy...i have seen two on ebay recently (no longer listed - i just checked)...one signed and the other unsigned...i think the signed one was in your colour... ;D

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:23:18 AM »
...one signed and the other unsigned...i think the signed one was in your colour... ;D

I have a real concern with signed items. As most items were signed by someone other than the master there are some dreadful fakes out there. I notice, mainly on US sites, that signatures are becoming commonplace and most look like fakes to me.

There was one on the Aussie ebay site a few weeks ago and I think I could have done a better job. This is close to vandalising pieces in my book.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:24:34 AM »
I think this style is a little boring for Seguso. What do you think?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
Not necessarily boring for Seguso. It might be a a piece--it's a console bowl, isn't it?--that you have to see and feel to evaluate fully. But there are quite a few Seguso pieces I've seen (and have) that aren't hugely exciting. I'm thinking of the little bullicante bowls with the touch of complementary colour around the lip, for example. They're nicely executed, tastefully conceived, but not all that exciting. I prefer the purity of the colour and the simplicity of the lines in this to some of the console bowls by Barovier and Toso or Fratelli Toso.

I wouldn't bet my house on this being Seguso, but I'd certainly be willing to take a little bit of a financial gamble. If there were another colour underneath the cranberry, I'd gamble even more. If it were signed I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Thanks David. I will just wait and see. I bought another A.Seguso vase a couple of months ago and like this one was just bought for the collection not out of lust or love, but boy when the light hits it, it just lights up and is very impressive.

So I might get to like this one as time goes by. I just seem to relate Archimedes to stone and sfumato and clean modern lines and those amazing inclusions and absolutely beautiful work. Can't get to his animals and people yet but who knows maybe Anita can convince me.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »
Ardy,

I love your new find.  But, of course, I always love cranberry color pieces.  I think it is a very nice console bowl and I would be proud to display it. 

tam bam 

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
[quote author=langhaugh link=topic=29546.msg159951#msg159951
I wouldn't bet my house on this being Seguso, 
If it were signed I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

David
[/quote]

The label is one of those that indicate Seguso pieces. We have two distinctly Seguso perfumes bearing the same label. It is also in the Murano Label library on the GMB.

I also agree about signed pieces. I think that the majority of signatures are placed by people who do not know enough about glass, and figure everyone else doesn't either.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
Craig:

We agree. Rereading my post  made me realize that I'd left the impression that I didn't think it was Seguso. I agree the label is Seguso and I think it looks like Seguso. I think I was trying to say that I have a sliding scale of certainty on some pieces, and, while this was a good way along the line towards certainty, it wasn't quite there. Would I like it my collection? Absolutely!

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand