No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard vase?  (Read 16889 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard vase?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
The last three colours would be 'cased' or 'opaque'.

The term 'Cobalt', in English at least, refers to a specific very dark blue - the blue illustrated in my own photograph. Allowing for a little bit of colour-difference from the poor copy of the Kastrup catalogue, this looks much closer to my dark blue vase than the vase in the original post which is almost turquoise.

I've got the gulvvase page from the 1967-1973 Kastrup-Holmegaard catalogue, and the blue looks a little lighter than the cobalt, possibly due to poor colour reproduction, maybe due to a temporary change of colour, but still not as light as Ken's vase.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »
Peter,

Would you consider this color "rare"?

Ken

I am not in doubt that the vase is a Gulvvase from Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork actually it has been produced at Fyens Glasswork and one of the few items that glassblower has become a production item and the design i the hut chief glassblower Otto Brauer and later it became the Gulvvase series.

I do not consider you vase colour as rare Otto Brauer gulvvaser is to be found in different colours and heights but the most known is the ones shown in the catalogues.
Most important is that the right dimensions and shape is present at the vase in questions and I think yours is correct.

All of the gulvvaser on my webpage is gulvvaser designed by Otto Brauer, Fyens Glasswork so they can be found in different colours, shapes and heights other than those appearing in Gulvvaser catalogue.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
The last three colours would be 'cased' or 'opaque'.

The term 'Cobalt', in English at least, refers to a specific very dark blue - the blue illustrated in my own photograph. Allowing for a little bit of colour-difference from the poor copy of the Kastrup catalogue, this looks much closer to my dark blue vase than the vase in the original post which is almost turquoise.

I've got the gulvvase page from the 1967-1973 Kastrup-Holmegaard catalogue, and the blue looks a little lighter than the cobalt, possibly due to poor colour reproduction, maybe due to a temporary change of colour, but still not as light as Ken's vase.

Do not known the correct English word, just stated the terms in the catalogue in Dansih the two coloured items would be "overfangs glas"
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
I still reserve my judgement on the authenticity of this vase - the colour is very different from the catalogues, as illustrated above, and the sizes/shape have been copied very exactly by several glassworks over the years, predominantly in Italy during the 1970s.

I've even seen a few Gulvvaser, in various sizes - including 17", in solid black, which were almost definitely not by Holmegaard and very probably produced in England circa late 1970s (two of them, 15" tall if I remember correctly, bore large screenprinted designs with commemorative logos for the Queen's 1977 jubilee).

When a form is as widely and often exactly reproduced as the Gulvvase the feature you have to rely on most to make a 'best guess' is the veracity of the colour palatte used. This vase just doesn't tick that box for me when faced with the production catalogue evidence.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »
I still reserve my judgement on the authenticity of this vase - the colour is very different from the catalogues, as illustrated above, and the sizes/shape have been copied very exactly by several glassworks over the years, predominantly in Italy during the 1970s.

I've even seen a few Gulvvaser, in various sizes - including 17", in solid black, which were almost definitely not by Holmegaard and very probably produced in England circa late 1970s (two of them, 15" tall if I remember correctly, bore large screenprinted designs with commemorative logos for the Queen's 1977 jubilee).

When a form is as widely and often exactly reproduced as the Gulvvase the feature you have to rely on most to make a 'best guess' is the veracity of the colour palatte used. This vase just doesn't tick that box for me when faced with the production catalogue evidence.

I do not have doubt about Ken vase in spite of the colour, and if I look the shape of the vase over it has the right shoulders, right neck and thickness of the neck and the top of vase is finished in the right way.
Otto Brauer gulvvaser has been made in a lot of different sizes and colours that you will not find in any catalogue, Ken vase with the height of approx. 43 cm would probably have a weight of 1200 gram + - 200 grams.

The exact vases you are referring to is often very thin and light glass with different shoulders and often thinner necks and I must say that I have not seen the Brauer quality gulvvase matched in copy vase here in Denmark, yet.

Otto Brauer Gulvvaser is not narrowed down to the few colours found in catalogues, but several more and that goes for size too.
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 05:23:13 PM »
The black ones, that I've seen and handled, were near-perfect replicas of the original vases - the weight and thickness of the glass was pretty much spot-on. The only thing that made me think that they were likely not authentic was the colour.

Then there's not forgetting the Gulvvaser that were made in England under licence from Holmegaard in something very like this light blue colour - so far I've only seen them in 10" and 12", but that does not mean that larger ones don't exist. These too are identical to the originals, except for colour.

I think a lot of the copies made in mainland Europe washed up in the UK - Denmark is probably quite lucky that way. Conversely, you probably see lot more of the genuine oddities, and are more open-minded towards them.

So I'm not saying that undocumented colours do not exist, as I've owned an Olivengrøn/Opal vase myself, and have seen one using Kastrup's Lila/Opal colour-scheme, which was mostly used for glass lamps. But I think these are the exceptions rather than the rule - especially outside of Denmark.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
The black ones, that I've seen and handled, were near-perfect replicas of the original vases - the weight and thickness of the glass was pretty much spot-on. The only thing that made me think that they were likely not authentic was the colour.

Then there's not forgetting the Gulvvaser that were made in England under licence from Holmegaard in something very like this light blue colour - so far I've only seen them in 10" and 12", but that does not mean that larger ones don't exist. These too are identical to the originals, except for colour.

I think a lot of the copies made in mainland Europe washed up in the UK - Denmark is probably quite lucky that way. Conversely, you probably see lot more of the genuine oddities, and are more open-minded towards them.

So I'm not saying that undocumented colours do not exist, as I've owned an Olivengrøn/Opal vase myself, and have seen one using Kastrup's Lila/Opal colour-scheme, which was mostly used for glass lamps. But I think these are the exceptions rather than the rule - especially outside of Denmark.

Have seen black ones too produced here in dk actually they are not black but very dark Lila that looks black.

Do have seen you mentioned that the vase has been made at Cascade with license and have tried to get that confirmed here in dk but without any luck so fare.

It can be hard to say how things have turned up in different countries of the items that have not been sold in the countries shops, so it could be from people move, visitting, gifts or maybe sold from an exhibition held in the country, so Ken vase does not have to been bought in a shop in England, could as well have been bought in a vacation to dk as well and brought back to uk.

I am sure that there is very good copies out there, but I at the same time think that many more of them is pretty easy to recognize as not Holmegaard and that leaves us with very few that maybe maybe not is Holmegaard Brauer.

If ones wants to be sure that it is a Gulvvase from Holmegaard they ofcouse should stick to the colours and sizes specified in the available catalogues
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
The Cascade Gulvvaser are fairly common in the UK, and pop up with their original factory labels regularly.

Insofar as I know, they were originally produced as display pieces in Ralph Lauren clothes shops in England in the 1970s - possibly in a number of sizes - and the smaller sizes 10" and 12" were put into production for general sale. The verified commercially-produced colours from Cascade are:

Pewter-Grey
Brown-Topaz
Clear
Light Blue
Cobalt (same shade as the Holmegaard vases)
Amber/Brown (also the same shade as the Holmegaard vases).

There are also small clear gulvvaser with screenprinted horizontal bands of colour that sometimes come up for sale - I've not discovered yet if these are English-made or European, but they seem to appear most around France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 11:19:11 AM »
The Cascade Gulvvaser are fairly common in the UK, and pop up with their original factory labels regularly.

Insofar as I know, they were originally produced as display pieces in Ralph Lauren clothes shops in England in the 1970s - possibly in a number of sizes - and the smaller sizes 10" and 12" were put into production for general sale. The verified commercially-produced colours from Cascade are:

Pewter-Grey
Brown-Topaz
Clear
Light Blue
Cobalt (same shade as the Holmegaard vases)
Amber/Brown (also the same shade as the Holmegaard vases).

There are also small clear gulvvaser with screenprinted horizontal bands of colour that sometimes come up for sale - I've not discovered yet if these are English-made or European, but they seem to appear most around France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

My point is that if Cascade, UK has license to produce Otto Brauer Gulvvase design from Holmegaard would it not then still be a "Otto Brauer Gulvvase" produced on English factory or will you refere to it as a Cascade product. Can not imagine that Holmegaard in giving this license also would have had to deliver the mould for the gulvvase and perhaps also have some saying on which colours they will allow.
In my book a Otto Brauer Gulvvase produced with license from Holmegaard at Cascade factory, UK would be still be a Otto Brauer design of origin.
Peter

HarderNet.dk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand