No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard vase?  (Read 16899 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard vase?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
Oh, yes, they'd still be an 'Otto Brauer design', if made from the same moulds as the Holmegaard ones (they seem to be), but they would not be Holmegaard Gulvvaser. Collectors do make this distinction when buying them, even the ones with the same colouring as the Holmegaard originals, as the Cascade versions sell for much less than the Danish-made vases.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »
Oh, yes, they'd still be an 'Otto Brauer design', if made from the same moulds as the Holmegaard ones (they seem to be), but they would not be Holmegaard Gulvvaser. Collectors do make this distinction when buying them, even the ones with the same colouring as the Holmegaard originals, as the Cascade versions sell for much less than the Danish-made vases.

That I think is more due to the popularity of certain colours I would still call them Holmegaard Gulvvaser, gulvvaser is just the dk name for flower vase placed on the floor or maybe it is called a floorvase it is not a reel name "gulvvaser" in danish could be any vase big enough to use as a vase standing on the floor.

If I turn it a bit around with the Provence bowls this design was relaunched with new sizes a few years back, if you take the new one and have one of the Lutken old ones they are not the same quality because they have been made i Poland, the same with Shipsglasses the Royal Copenhagen issued Shipsglasses is very different than the Lutken Shipsglass design not in shape but in weight and colour of the glass.

I think it is a matter of what you like about the Gulvvaser the original design thought out and blown by Otto Brauer or you like the "marketing" seller production around the Otto Brauer Gulvvase as it should be.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
I know what we're arguing here is semantics in any other context, but in the context of a glass website centred on research it matters who actually made the glass rather than the veracity of the design when it is reproduced by other companies.

So for purposes of research and reference I think it's important to dilineate original Kastrup/Holmegaard production from those produced by other companies, as these vases have their own history to be uncovered.

And even old versus new production within the same company matters, as you pointed out - you've probably noticed as a dealer that it's easier to sell, for example, old Danish-made Arne bowls than it is to sell newer poorer-quality Provence bowls outsourced to Poland because educated collectors know to differentiate between them.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »
I know what we're arguing here is semantics in any other context, but in the context of a glass website centred on research it matters who actually made the glass rather than the veracity of the design when it is reproduced by other companies.

So for purposes of research and reference I think it's important to dilineate original Kastrup/Holmegaard production from those produced by other companies, as these vases have their own history to be uncovered.

And even old versus new production within the same company matters, as you pointed out - you've probably noticed as a dealer that it's easier to sell, for example, old Danish-made Arne bowls than it is to sell newer poorer-quality Provence bowls outsourced to Poland because educated collectors know to differentiate between them.

I am in it for the history of Danish Glassworks and being a small country actually none of the glassworks back in time do have been mixed together or taken over by the major glassworks and they have changed name several times and also part of production have been moved from en factory to another together with employes.

Holmegaard Glasswork did found Kastrup Glasswork in 1847.
Odense Glasswork was founded in 1873 but went bankrupt and was bought in 1890 and now with the name Fyens Glasswork, in 1899 they bought Rosdala Glasbrug, Sweden.

In 1907 did many Glassworks in dk merge it was Fyens Classwork (with Aarhus Glasswork that Fyens has bought earlier), Kastrup Glasswork and Hellerup Glasswork the year later also Aalborg Glasswork was part of this merger.

After this there were only to major Glassworks in dk Holmegaard Glasswork and the merge company Kastrup Glasswork (consist of Aalborg, Aarhus Glasswork in Jutland - Fyens Glasswork on Fyhn - Kastrup Glasswork and Hellerup Glasswork on Sealand.

That brings me back to the Otto Brauer gulvvases because he is from Fyens Glasswork and the gulvvases has been produced at that factory, so gulvvases with Kastrup labels is not produced on the Kastrup Glasswork but on Fyens Glasswork but they still are Otto Brauer Design as well as that if Cascade has license to produce Otto Brauer design in uk, thats the history point of view and not the money point of view.

Think collectors mostly would like to have items as close to design year if possible if not unika items, but I also think that a collector of gulvvases would like to have/shown the range of for instance gulvvase to view the historical span.

I am not sure that high price allways state originality, rare, unike, one of a kind could simply also be that is a trend that many wants, maybe in some years time your UK Cascade will be the trend and not low end.

Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »
I wonder if we're scaring the 'normal' collectors yet?  ;D

The primary difference between the Kastrup vases made at Fyens and the Cascade vases made in England is that the English ones were never, as far as I know, sold as Kastrup/Holmegaard vases originally - they were all tagged with 'Cascade - England' labels and bore no mention of Danish design.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
I wonder if we're scaring the 'normal' collectors yet?  ;D

The primary difference between the Kastrup vases made at Fyens and the Cascade vases made in England is that the English ones were never, as far as I know, sold as Kastrup/Holmegaard vases originally - they were all tagged with 'Cascade - England' labels and bore no mention of Danish design.

Ha, yes I did give that a thought, but it is a interesting subject and we have had lots of interesting subjects on emails too and think it is very good to have issues turned around and upside down and it always brings along new knowledge and points to look into.

Have not have the pleasure to see a labeled Cascade vase in dk yet, maybe because we often here in dk, having a present or buying, do remove the label and wash the item before it go into use.
Maybe Cascade uk have bought the rights to produce the gulvvase design for the uk market instead of a license and therefore you can find so many different colours in a not equal HG quality, that could be a possibility too.

Thanks for your op-ion and thoughts Nic, looking forward to the next issue, perhaps we should keep it to email  :thup:   
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
No, do it in public, then nosey people like me can read all about it (and hopefully learn something).  ;D

John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
That brings me back to the Otto Brauer gulvvases because he is from Fyens Glasswork and the gulvvases has been produced at that factory, so gulvvases with Kastrup labels is not produced on the Kastrup Glasswork but on Fyens Glasswork

Oh, a query about Otto Brauer. Lis Larsen at Holmegaard said that he started at Odense Glasværk in 1931, then went to Kastrup Glasværk in 1936, where he became Master Glassblower in 1946... is this information incorrect?

Incidentally, this is my 18" Cobalt gulvvase with Kastrup label...

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »
That brings me back to the Otto Brauer gulvvases because he is from Fyens Glasswork and the gulvvases has been produced at that factory, so gulvvases with Kastrup labels is not produced on the Kastrup Glasswork but on Fyens Glasswork

Oh, a query about Otto Brauer. Lis Larsen at Holmegaard said that he started at Odense Glasværk in 1931, then went to Kastrup Glasværk in 1936, where he became Master Glassblower in 1946... is this information incorrect?

Incidentally, this is my 18" Cobalt gulvvase with Kastrup label...

I do not know, have no employment records, so I can not comment on the Lis information. It is a bit difficult, because I have to know what precise we are talking about or it do not make much sense.

The big merge between several Glassworks in 1907, "De forenede Glasværk (Aalborg, Aarhus and Fyens)" and "Kastrup Glasværk, Frederiksberg Glasværk, Hellerup Glasværk" this company got the name "A/S Kastrup Glasværk"

In 1965 to 1979 did "A/S Kastrup Glasværk" merge with "Holmegaard Glasværk" in the new company name "Kastrup Holmegaard Glasværk"

In 1979 did the plant/factory Kastrup Glasswork close and only the plant/factory in Odense (Fyens Glasværk) and in Fenmark (Holmegaard Glasværk)

Otto Brauer was hut master in Odense (Fyens Glasværk) in 1952 and the literature says that late in the 1950s did he get his Internationale known gulvvase in production.

Also I may ad that a big part of Jacob E. Bang artglass designs from "A/S Kastrup Glasværk" (this shall be read as the Company) was produced at the plant in Odense (Fyens Glasværk) read as plant/factory - such as Natblå serie, Antikgrøn serie, Capri and so on.

Buy the way Michael Bang was employed in 1958 and did work at the Odense Plant/factory too.

Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 07:43:26 PM »
Hullo Peter.

More succintly, the information that I have from Lis is that Brauer was at the factory in Odense from 1931 - 1936, and then moved to the factory in Kastrup from 1936 onwards, becoming Master there in 1946.

For Michael Bang, I have Odense 1968 - 1974, then Fensmark 1974 - until around 2000/2002. Prior to this he worked in ceramics (RC and Bjorn Wiinblad), and in glass at Ekenas, Sweden, from 1966-68.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand