No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase help please ?  (Read 7096 times)

Offline ejean9

• Members
Vase help please ?
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
Hi folks
I am looking for some help in ID this vase..large piece..polished base..gold ? amber colour..bubbles..7 and a half inch high..4inch wide..very thick at 7mm (thats thick to me !) narrow at the bottom..widening as it rises..then narrowing in again but not as narrow as the base.
thank you.
Jean

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Vase help please ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi Jean,
WMF 'Perlora' comes to my mind, and it looks as if Uranium glass? Just a guess however  :angel:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
Hi Pamela
(novice here) so Uranium..does that mean if i shine a UV light on it..it should glow green ? what is WMF  :-[

thanks

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
Yes Jean, should glow green under UV light
WMF = Württembergische Metallwaren Fabriken, Germany
(not only metal works) Had their famous IKORA, PERLORA and MYRA ranges in glass  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
Thank you Pamela..i will try the uv light !
Jean

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »
Do WMF make shallow bowls as the tiny bubbles in these pieces remind me of a WF's type bowl I posted recently, have looked for a site about WMF but can't find much,Keith.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
evening Keith
I thought this may have been WF..but have checked and can find nothing, that said, i am a novice..i did put it on WF board..had lots of looks..but no comments, so i guesses it was one of those pieces no one seems to know ? i have a small bowl..very similar..different base..have put that on WF to see if anyone can advise.
Jean

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
Didn't explain that very well did I?I meant a bowl I have, which is not Whitefriars, has tiny bubbles like the piece you posted and I wondered if my bowl could be WMF,Keith.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
lol..i knew what you meant..well..as soon as i get a UV thingy..and test mine..ill let you know..

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:12:26 PM »
Jean and Keith,
it was just my GUESS, I'm not an expert on crystal glass, I'm afraid  :-X

but found also a small amethyst bowl by googling 'perlora glas' - of course unsure, whether that attribution there is correct  :ac1:
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand