No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be a Bimini "lampblown art deco prancing lady - ID = Istvan Komaromy  (Read 8547 times)

Offline jinxi

• Members
Re: Could this be a Bimini "lampblown art deco prancing lad
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Hi,  Can't see the picture but read the text - I was wondering if the label actually read Istvan Komaromy and I think, that if you search the glass message board for this name you will come across a picture of a paper label of his.  I am familiar with his work and there are some similarities with Bimini.  If you google his name in you should be able to find some old Pathe News footage of the gentlemen in action too. 

Hope this helps

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Could this be a Bimini "lampblown art deco prancing lady
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
jinxi, you are correct. This was actually referred to in a separate topic but hasn't been cross-referenced back, so I'll do it now and add links to Tramonto's lost images which are safe and sound in GlassGallery.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23.0.html
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1876
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1878
and finally there's an article on the Glass Encyclopedia about Komaromy here: http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Komaromyglass.html

Thanks for flagging it up so we could update it. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
Hi

Pleased I could be of help, still trying to get the hang of posting and replying etc. 

There is a book on Bimini Glass (which I have never seen) in German only, I think, and probably out of print, called Bimini by Waltraud Neuwirth.   

Five or six years ago there was a website set up by the son of Fritz Lampl, Raymond Berger, which displayed some exquisite Bimini and Orplid pieces and, I think, was also selling off some family pieces.  They made a lot of buttons and you occasionally see them for sale on ebay.  Various famous aritists designed buttons for them in their early careers and they often come up for sale on ebay.  Some are stamped with the flowerpot motif - I think the metal is stamped not the glass - but the website disappeared. 

Around this time somebody's large collection of Bimini glass was on display at the ?Cambridge Glass Fair and again, there were some stunning photos of a cabinet full of this at the show online.

The whole area of Bimini, Lauscha and Komaromy seems hugely confusing.  I would say that yours is Komaromy not Bimini, but that is my personal view only.  The smaller figures 2.5 inches or so, (without base) are said to be older than the larger (5 or 6 inches or so without base).  I think Bimini and Komaromy both display fine artistry and that is what distinguishes them from Lauscha.  Various doll's house items and flower holders that sometime appear at auction as Bimini I think are mainly Lauscha.  I suspect that there are new factories possibly Eastern European or even Chinese making figures of this type today - not necessarily copies but the kinds of items that could have been made by ......................

I was interested to read Ivo's comment about Venini and Bimini, I was not aware of this connection and would like to know more about this relationship and what kind of items were made by them.

Veronica

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Veronica, there is also an article about Bimini and Orplid by Raymond Berger in the Glass Museum which you might enjoy: http://www.theglassmuseum.com/bimini.htm

(Raymond is the son of Joseph Berger and nephew of Fritz Lampl, founders of Bimini Glass. Glass Museum and Glass Encyclopedia are both parts of Angela Bowey's glass resource websites as is this board.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
Thank you Anne!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum