No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help identify Czech Vase - ID = Skrdlovice  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Please Help identify Czech Vase - ID = Skrdlovice
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
This vase is pattern 5503/20 - "Vrtulova váza" (Propeller vase) in original.
Originaly designed in crystal in two sizes 20 and 16 cm.

Do not study Hill or Ricke in case of Skrdovice but simply ask Jindrich  ;D

J.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
Agreed, Jindrich. Now how do I get you on my bookshelf?

Ricke quotes the Skrdlovice pattern book, so he agrees with you in term of pattern numbers. But I don't think the vase in this thread would be called a "Vrtulova váza" (Propeller vase).  Judging from the picture in Ricke, the picture of a "Vrtulova váza" I've seen elsewhere, and the descriptions in Hill and in Ricke, the 'Propeller' vase has heavier lobes and was clear glass with a yellowish tinge. However, if this is a "Vrtulova váza," what's the difference between it and an 'Atlas?' Is it only a matter of colour and production dates?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Sklounion

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »
Rather depends on why one author, or another, referred to the item in terms of "Atlas". To my knowledge, and almost certainly Jindrich's, this vase, 5503, has only previously been referred to as a "propellor". Best asking Ricke or Hill, as to the variant names.

Again, it does have to be said that one should exercise great caution with these vases, as many, virtually identical items were produced by Aseda, from 1945. See this thread: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19903.0.html and this post,

Ricke was right to suggest that Aseda made similar items. I have now discovered that Börne Augustsson designed what are known in Scandinavia as the “Börnevas", which look extremely similar.

Given 1950/60s Skrdlovice production levels, it is highly unlikely that all of these vases can be Skrdlovice production..... given the sheer volume floating around, much is likely to be Scandinavian production. Not, I am sure, what people want to hear, but a realistic appraisal. Sorry.

M

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
Thanks, Marcus. I remember the thread as I contributed to it. In it I explained that what I thought was my 'Propeller' vase was sold to me as designed by Börne Augustsson, whom you mention.  Is there a source for this or has anyone seen a vase with a label or a signature? I'm not doubting the information, I'd just like it for my records/research.

To sum up what I think we've got so far:

The name 'Atlas' seems to come from Mark Hill, and neither Marcus or Jindrich would use it.

Lots of companies made vases like this in and out of Czechoslovakia so don't get excited about their rarity, or, I presume, our ability to attribute precisely. (I reserve the right to say that I still love them, even if there's enough of them to fill the Great Lakes.)

David

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
Hi all,
I love these nice heavy lumps as well  ;D

(I reserve the right to say that I still love them, even if there's enough of them to fill the Great Lakes.)

David

Andy
 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
My very little skills are limited to Bohemian/Czechoslovak/Czech glass, so I cannot be absolutely sure, namely when I see the piece at picture and possible foreigner producers I do not take into account due to my national limitations.

I do not know who invented name Atlas, the name "Vrtulova" (propeller) is good translation of Czech comment in pattern book. Names, generaly, had not been used in glassfactory but according my personal oppinon had been invented later by Skloexport (Glassexport), so Skrdlovice sets like Cardinal, Diana, Blanka, Galaxy, Blue line, Pavucina (Spider-web), etc had not been designed and created in the same year and sometimes also not by same designer. Perhaps name "Atlas" was used and published by some sales person sometime somewhere.

This pucelas shaped vase, even it looks like Kotik's invention was introduced to Skrdlovice fabrication much sooner by Emanuel Beranek, Jan Broz, Rudolf Beranek and Jindrich Beranek as well. Kotik as the artist had found the appropriate proportions and from normal pucelas shaped design had made famous and extraordinary shape. Please not not change Kotik's 5503 with Jan Beranek's 5988. This my requirement is extremaly hard to satisfy, becouse these very popular shapes had been produced for almost 60 years in much variations.

Just a private notice, Marcus, my friend and brother in arms, you are expected at birthday party in my pub on Saturday. 24th October.

Jindrich

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »
Jindrich:

Thanks for that explanation. That seems a good place to end it for me.

David

Sklounion

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »
PM,
Jindrich, the propellor turns, on the Vltava and Labe rivers, but not always in the direction we would like......
Sorry, my friend, but life says, I will not be there in body, despite my desire.....
You take care, have a good party, take care of Sonia, and the girls......
And drink one too many Kozel, and Becherovka, and remember, it will never be forgotten....wherever you and I are.
Zivot je pes....
Tvuj bratr,
M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand