No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alsterfors Hooped / Hoops vase ID/ maker pls  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Elmwood

• Members
Alsterfors Hooped / Hoops vase ID/ maker pls
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
Hi All,

Wondered whether anyone has any ideas as to the maker of this one please?

Measures 10" tall, and very light.

As I am at a total loss when I see these cased/over opaque white vases, and not sure whether they are indeed Scandinavian or not.  Has anyone got any tips or advice that may help to identify them when in my hands.  Decided to take a gamble on this rather than once again walking away......

All info always appreciated, Thanks M & S

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Alsterfors?ID/ maker pls
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
Not Alsterfors as far as I know, all the Alsterfors vases I have handled have been made with thick layers (several mm) of white glass and coloured glass, or coloured glass and clear glass.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
Thanks John,

Sorry for my tardiness in replying.....

I do have an orange Alsterfors, )photo below and positive id on here), which does seem to have more substance about it.  The opaque casing is indeed extremely thin on this one.  Should I relegate this one to the charity box...... :huh:

Sharron

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
The orange vase in the photo is similar to the Alsterfors design but the proportions are not exactly the same, have a look at the hoops in these two photos, the first photo is of an Alsterfors vase. I think your orange vase (and my pale blue one) may have been made by Ryd (Sweden) but this is a guess only. The lighter 'Ryd' vases were made in varying sizes and colours, cased and uncased.

Your orange vase looks good to me whoever made it. :)

John

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for your further input.... I can see the difference between YOUR orange and pale blue vase, but am unable to see the subtle difference(s)  between my orange and yours. (My photo angle and lighting differ too plus its boxed away somewhere so can't handle it at the mo)

Link to my original posting.....http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24146.msg134870.html#msg134870

So I rather think I need to handle and compare some Alsterfor examples to get to grips with these pieces or just give them a miss.... :-\

Thanks, Sharron

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Alsterfors Hooped / Hoops vase ID/ maker pls
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:19:38 AM »
Thanks for that information with the photos John, a picture speaks a thousand words!  :)
I am not a man

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »
So the lighter ones were made by Ryd http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/2876659684/ that has been a 'pet' theory of mine for a few months, oh dear, I think my head is going to go pop. ;D

Thanks to Seventh_Tree for the link and photo and Sharron for making me look. :hiclp:

Sharron, the difference is in the proportions of the hoops compared to the rest of the vase, the Ryd hoops are 'bigger' than the Alsterfors hoops.

John

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
Hi John

Eureka, Have unpacked 4 boxes and found the orange vase...... And YES I now see the difference! As you say its in the hoops.

Bought it Nov last year, and have believed it to be Alsterfors until now.  I am definately going to give these pieces a wide berth unless they are labelled.  Is its something you would like to own and /or the green one?

My head is hurting too, sorry for harping on.
A huge thankyou for helping me with this. :kissy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand