No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: goblet shaped vase with (applied?) trailed decoration - ID = Graystan  (Read 2489 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi
I hope you can help with an identification for this beautiful (IMHO) vase.
Being a complete novice, I have done as much research as I can and come up with four possibles ;D
I hope one of them is right and would love to hear your opinions please.

the vase is quite heavy and is definitely not fine thin glass, but has a fabulous 'ping' (I know, that means nothing but I like it nonetheless ;D)
The base is 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
Height is 7 3/4inches
the bowl bit is not circular but oval - 6 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches back to front.
There are 4 vertical trails, two front and two back, with the 'swags' (7 on each quarter) inbetween them.
It appears to me to be beautifully made, but actually I wouldn't have a clue. The trails go right down to the bottom of the bowl bit and underneath it, then it is joined to the knop (is that the ball bit on the stem) which is clear as is the foot apart from right around the rim of the foot which has the same trail colour around it.

The pontil - please forgive my explanation and I hope it isn't too wrong here- is snapped off, and polished as in whitefriars, but is not perfectly round and has two sort of line marks on the edge of the round bit.  It's kind of been polished to make it not sharp, but not perfectly if that makes sense?
Any thoughts at all would be very much appreciated.  And thank you all in advance for your consideration.

M

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: goblet shaped vase with (applied?) trailed decoration
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
It looks a bit like some Graystan pieces i have seen . jp  What says Nigel ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »

JP thank you for replying.  
I have been researching this for ages and the four possibles I came up with originally were Stuart, Studio, Gray-Stan or ....something else :spls: but no idea what.
I have looked at seemingly hundreds of Stuart pictures and none seem similar.  It definitely 'feels' older to me than recent/modern studio (but I have very very limited knowledge so :-[)  and then my most recent guess was Gray-Stan because of the picture on Great Glass and one on the Whitefriars site.  The only other thing I can add is the trailing on the vase is all bubbles and I couldn't see either of the two pictures on Gray-Stan to see if they were the same.
I would be very pleased if it were ;D
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
I would put my money on Graystan just had a look at one i have the foot is very similar , especially the folded back foot in that colour is so Graystan (sorry i still cant do pictures) if you look in the book British glass between the wars page 63  is similar to yours i also have one similar to no 92 page 64 .JP I will take a chance and give you a fiver for yours . >:D ;D :chky:  jp PS Mine are not signed .

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:03:10 AM »
So why does everybody assume it has to be British?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »
Well i never assume anything i collect glass from most countries i have more foreign glass than British but i have seen a lot of Graystan and that is my ever so humble opinion and a lot of my knowledge has come from your book Ivo i have had it since first published . ;) :thup:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »
Thank you both for your replies - I really appreciate it.  Ivo, I hadn't assumed it was British.  I don't know anything about glass, I only occasionally  buy and only then what I love, and wouldn't have been able to assume at all.  My other?? possible guess was Venetian , but then I thought I was getting carried away ;D .  I did do a lot of searching through the resources online (I don't have enough to buy glass books unfortunately - jp thanks for your reference - I will try and find it in the library to have a look) to come up with the possibles, including the VAM references on trailed glass.  It just then looked remarkably similar to the two gray-stan pieces I came across and having read all the posts and online comments/references about gray-stan i thought it may be? and then I ran out of steam.

jp it does have some scratches on it, but would that be enough to make it £5 worth?  :chky:  If so, sadly for hubby (who doesn't share my love of glass) I will have to retain it and continue to display it prominently in our sitting room ;D

many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Hi, just to let the mods know that this vase has been formally id'd as Graystan glass and could be moved to the resolved section in time.    It is pictured in Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass in one of the plates of their catalogue. In addition, it was very kindly id'd for me prior to this, by Nigel - thank you Nigel  :sun:
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: goblet shaped vase with (applied?) trailed decoration - ID = Graystan
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »
Sometimes i am happy to be a stubborn old bxgger . :thup: :smg:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: goblet shaped vase with (applied?) trailed decoration - ID = Graystan
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
JP your comments gave me the confidence that I'd secretly found the right maker  :hiclp:, which in turn gave me the confidence to take it to the glass show to ask Nigel.  So thank you also  :sun:
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand