No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Chandelier  (Read 1863 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Murano Chandelier
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
Hi All

A friend of mine has had this wrapped up for 12 years and is going to sell it. Does anyone have any ideas on who made this piece or what he should ask for this?

I have no idea myself as I have never seen a large chandelier.

It weighs about 25kgs and is 1.07m (42") high. He has all the pieces and apart from two minor bites to the edge of one of the 'pineapple' bits it is in good condition.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Chandelier
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
It is a rostrato piece. Rostrato was done by Ferro, Toso, & Barovier in the late 1930s, but was copied by others. You might be able to attribute this with a good bit of certainty if you check for Barovier chandeliers. Much luck! Rostrato fetches a good price if it is original and if it sells. Many people shy away from the form -- why, I don't know.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano Chandelier
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:11:50 AM »
It is a rostrato piece. Rostrato was done by Ferro, Toso, & Barovier in the late 1930s, but was copied by others. You might be able to attribute this with a good bit of certainty if you check for Barovier chandeliers. Much luck! Rostrato fetches a good price if it is original and if it sells. Many people shy away from the form -- why, I don't know.

Anita - Chris sends his deep thanks to you. He was about to sell it for $A1200 (about $US1100) until I told him about your ID. I found another piece that is selling for several times this price in the US. His is original and is larger than the other ones I have seen.

You have made him some money as he plans to swap it for other antiques and glass.

Just goes to show this site, you and the other people here, work wonders sometimes.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand