No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Early) Clichy or St. Mande? Who knows ?  (Read 2895 times)

Nadine

(Early) Clichy or St. Mande? Who knows ?
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:17:01 PM »
Hello again  :lol:

Sorry for the poor photos, I try to make some better ones tomorrow, as today my oldest son has it´s 3rd Birthday  8)

But I must know, what kind of paperweight this will be.
It´s a miniature one, the glass and the size are similar to a Clichy piece I have. But I´m not sure, if it´s an (early) Clichy or probably a St. Mande ???

Here are some pictures of the canes:

http://web888.can13.de/webbrowser/new/index.html

Can somebody help me?

Many greetings
Nadine

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
better views
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:38:21 PM »
Can you post an overall view of the paperweight? Perhaps an overhead, a side view, and a bottom view. Thanks so much. Eager to see the full paperweight.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Nadine

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:12:01 PM »

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
determination
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the new views, Nadine. I'm inclined to think it's a very early Clichy. The frosted basal ring on the underside is a definite clue as to its being Clichy-made. The ring of millefiori is Clichyesque.

If it is Clichy, and that's my pick, you may have one of the earliest I've ever seen. I have four Clichys in my collection and my gut on this is Clichy.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:04:41 PM »
Hmmm.  The yellow outside of centre cane bothers me.  

To tell the truth, so does the odd green one.  And those white and red ones in the outer ring are an unuasual construction.  And aren't the star canes too fat for Clichy?

IMHO those 'Early Clichy' IDs are still a bit suspect.

My 'guts' are telling me a different story.  I'd say Bohemian / Silesian.

Nadine

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »
Hi Guest,

probably the photos of the canes are too large, as the star canes are very similar to another Clichy Paperweight I have, they arent more fat in this piece.

All my weights, from Bohemian / Silesian have a yellow or yellow/green color under UV, this weight has a pale blue color, with a little gray in it.  
So I´m sure, it will be not a Bohemian/Silesian.
But I´m not sure if it´s from Clichy or from St. Mande.

The Glass is clear like the one Clichy used in their Paperweight and not gray or yellow like many Bohemian Pieces.

Have a nice evening.
Nadine

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:30:18 PM »
Hi Nadine,

I do like these difficult-to-identify weights you find :)

I have to say that my initial thoughts were similar to those of Guest. As well as the yellow and the red-over-white in the canes, the other thing that bothered me, was the extensive bubbling around many of the canes. And the fact that the green cane is an odd one out. And also the fact that there seems to be a cane missing in that same row.

But with a blue UV reaction, I agree that it could be French.

When it comes to (white) star canes, I think almost all main makers used them, and probably in various sizes, too. I don't think they can be used for identification purposes, but perhaps some other folk could correct me on that.

So far, I have not found any canes like the red and the yellow ones in my books, but I will keep looking.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand