No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amber stained engraved Bohemian cornucopia  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
amber stained engraved Bohemian cornucopia
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Wud have been the find of the month  -  or at least it was until I got home - just goes to show what you can miss in the heat of the moment.  Imagine my shock and horror having paid out one pound fifty, just to discover there is a large thumbnail sized chip missing from the top side of the foot.   It's about 17.5 cms. tall, and the panels are showing, I think, German towns which have some association with water??? (at least Bonn is illustrated) - and Bodesberg is not on fire ;D   I'm guesssing somewhere between 1850 - 1900.    Probably too much of a long shot, but might it be attributable to some particular factory, and can anyone be more specific about the date.    thanks for looking.    Might go back next Sunday morning and get a refund because of the damage. ;)      cheers      Paul S.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: amber stained engraved Bohemian cornucopia
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »
Wow. Very impressive. Is it stained, or flashed (covered with a thin veneer of amber glass)?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
This a souvenir from a trip along the river Rhine, circa 1880-1910. It is amber flashed, the panels are copper wheel engraved but not very detailed. Nice object, even if the monetary value does not reflect the amount of work that went into it. Country of origin: Bohemia (not Germany). Attached is a photograph of similar items - just ruby flashed, not amber.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
Is there a particular name for this type of souvenir?  I had an idea that there was, but couldn't dredge anything up from the GMB Search or my fuddled memory banks.  :cry:

I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
Not that I know of. I have a collection of souvenir glass (both engraved and transfer enameled) but I am unaware that there is a collective noun for these. Maybe we should coin one?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »
Is there a particular name for this type of souvenir?  I had an idea that there was, but couldn't dredge anything up from the GMB Search or my fuddled memory banks.  :cry:

Souvenir ware. (It would be great if more people used the term to help finding these things.)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »
thanks to all contributors - and especially to Ivo for trying to keep to the subject :)   Are 'flashing' and staining', one and the same??    Staining, as I understand it, is the application of a colour, which is then heated to harden it, not glass tho.      Surprised Ivo that your trip along the Rhine was that long ago ;) but I like your souvenirs, although not sure abut the phrase... 'reminiscence of souvenir glasses'  -  doesn't have that sort of easily remembered jingo ish sort of sound.    How about a  'pontil of souvenirs', or is that verreing off the subject.    Think I did say Bohemia in my original heading - but these towns are along the Rhine, which as you say is in Germany.    Paul S.

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
Perhaps "a Recollection of Souvenir Glasses".....   It's Godesberg, by the way.  And I would have happily paid £1-50 for this, even with a chip.  I like Ivo's glass with the dosage marked on the side - I've got one like this and I paid the earth for it in Prague a few years ago; most of mine have only the name of the spa town, though some have the name of the former owner (or should that be patient?)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
Perhaps "a Recollection of Souvenir Glasses".....   It's Godesberg, by the way.  And I would have happily paid £1-50 for this, even with a chip.  I like Ivo's glass with the dosage marked on the side - I've got one like this and I paid the earth for it in Prague a few years ago; most of mine have only the name of the spa town, though some have the name of the former owner (or should that be patient?)

Ahr - this is another collection subject altogether. Spa glasses.  When going to "partake the waters" in the early 1900s, whether it be in Vichy, or Karslbad, or Baden Baden, the ailing patients had a regime. A ten day course would involve making a daily trip by the sulphutic sources and imbibe an increasing dose of muddy smelliness. To that effect, patients had to have a glass which is almost always oval to fit in the pocket of a gown, with sometimes mls, and sometimes 1 thu 10 (days) on the side - and sometimes both. The degraded and engraved ones shown here are probably by Moser, from Marienbad and from Karlsbad respectively.

(no, not running out of pictures, yet)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Spa was what I was thinking of.  Just could NOT think of the word 'Spa' to save my life!  Cor, got there eventually Ivo!  ;) ;) ;D

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand