No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ysart monart ? paperweight  (Read 1299 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
ysart monart ? paperweight
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »
this one came today.. just some quick photos...never seen a set up like this one... it measures 4" across and 2.75" high.. i think it could be a monart date piece due to the dark glass and paul is my 1st guess... anyone else think the same?  the pontil is roughly ground

click image

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: ysart monart ? paperweight
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:33:23 PM »
SOooooo nice .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ysart monart ? paperweight
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:07 PM »
I have seen at least two other weights with a similar pattern and of magnum size, at 4 inch or bigger diameter.

One was described as having four "Y"s, but I was very doubtful about that because the setting of all canes was quite poor and it could just as easily have been a design based on a cross (possibly of French style). Another, which was shown to me very recently, had a central cane with the "arms" formed from lengths of pink-centred filigree twists and had canes in the spaces within and at the end of the twist lengths. Again it looked to me to be more like a cross pattern than anything else.

Both of those other two weights had canes which can be matched to early period Vasart work and in particular to some of the known Salvador Ysart 3D butterfly and 3D flower weights.

None of these weights, including Ray's, have any features that make me think Paul Ysart would have made them.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand