No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: murano ashtray?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline jjbteach

• Members
murano ashtray?
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:48:33 PM »
I think this is murano avem. It is about 4 3/4 inches in diameter and 2 in high.
 Can anyone tell me more about this piece?  Thank you!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: murano ashtray?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
Yes, it is a Murano piece. It looks like AVeM. There were a few other companies, e.g. Fratelli Toso and Ferro, that made very similar pieces. They are called tutti frutti or end-of-day pieces.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »
Love these bowls...never have been endeared to the red ones though...i have a four sided one in green...i actually think these are not ashtrays...but more cigar rests (my opinion only - being a smoker and all)...one thing i have noticed with the four sided ones is that one corner is always slightly more thinner and curved...excuse my terminology...which is actually perfect for a nice sized cigar...where the other three sides are thicker and you couldn't rest anything there 'symmetrically...i haven't handled a 3 sided piece like yours though...i cannot find one in OZ... >:(

Yours does look like a AVEM bowl...(differing of opinions gladly accepted)... ;D

Offline jjbteach

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  I was told by a lady who collects murano that the silver flecking inside instead of gold is rare.  Anyone know if this is true?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
Not to be contrary, but silver is pretty common. It is often found in Murano glass, as well as glass from Bohemia, USA, China, and other places. It is especially common in the tutti frutti pieces.

I understand what your friend means. I've seen more Murano speckled with gold dust than I have with silver. I imagine that with the cost of gold being so high right now, gold is being used much more conservatively.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand