No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purpose of these small bowls?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Purpose of these small bowls?
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
This pair of bowls is only 4" in diameter.  Do they serve a function other than decorative?  They are entirely hand painted.  Those look like gondola in the background, so I assume they are Italian.  The rim is ground and polished.  The small foot is clear and applied and highly reactive to UV light.  Any opinions as to age or maker?  Thanks for looking. 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Purpose of these small bowls?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »
Yes, they are Venetian. You can tell the Venetian ones from the Bohemian ones by the amount of leg shone. The Bohemian dishes were more sexy, with legs sticking out and skin exposed. The Italian pieces were more modest, with all the sexy skin hidden. Your dishes remind me of some that Cenedese did in the 1950s, but I believe that other companies made similar glass. They are probably made using decal-like figures that are sealed with enamel paints.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
I checked my Cenedese dishes against your bowls. The gold gilt of your bowls is much more elaborate than my dishes. Yours look older. My judgment on their age was too fast. I wouldn't be surprised if they were from an earlier time. Maybe they are Salviati?? I attached pictures of my Cenedese plates for comparison. They were part of a table service that included goblets. I wouldn't eat out of them because it would have destroyed the enamel over time.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »
Thanks, Anita.  If the Bohemian ones are racier ( more leg) they must be downright dirty looking at the cleavage on this Italian lady.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 02:10:36 AM »
It's not the women who are sexier so much as the men. I attached a Moser dish (on a Salviati blank) from c 1900. I don't have any enlargement available, but you can see the two men. Great legs, huh?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Oh, dear. I just realized one of the leggy people is a woman. I checked on some of the other Moser pieces and there is a mix of racy-for-the-times and conservative wear. Much of their Venetian pieces look like they are on Salviati blanks. Many things were marketed by both companies. Your bowl looks similar to the work that they did together.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 01:34:32 AM »
The decoration of the people  looks nearly identical to your Cedenese plates.  Did Cedenese copy earlier Salviati or Moser pieces for their design?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »
The Cenedese dishes are really little bowls. I accidentally called them plates. The Moser piece is a compote. The pictures on the glass are very different, but have a similar spirit. The pictures of the Moser compote are painted with enamel directly on the glass. They have a Lobmeyr-like quality and are excellent quality. The Cenedese bowls have decal-like people and flowers. I guess one might call it decoupage?? The figures are cut and pasted, then sealed with enamels. Several companies made this type glass, so I wonder if they bought the figures from some firm, then finished them. This style of glass was called Venetian both in Italy and Bohemia. It was very popular around the turn of the century and resurrected in the middle 20th Century.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 02:43:59 AM »
BTW, your bowl seems to be a combination of the styles I mentioned. Your gold is elaborate and the circle of white dots is nicely fired. The picture looks like it was added like a decal, then painted with some enamel. If the picture looks white when you look through the back of the dish, you know it was added. (I wish someone could tell us what this is called. It would be so much easier to say the right word.  :spls2:)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand