No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Jug & Glasses Set w/ Triangular Label: Riihimäki?  (Read 17142 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Purple Jug & Glasses Set w/ Triangular Label: Riihimäki?
« on: October 30, 2005, 05:43:59 PM »
I purchased a gorgeous deep purple jug and 6 matching glasses today with no markings - just bought, really, to satiate my glass jug obsession - and because it's a very pretty set. When I got them home, however, I found the glue traces of a label shaped like a triangle with rounded corners on the jug and some of the glasses, around 1.5cm length on each side - was just wondering if the design of the set and the style of label rang any bells with anyone?

Many thanks!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 06:19:27 PM »
I'm thinking maybe G Hardy, who I think imported Aseda - you'll have to check that.  I'll see if I can get a pic of the sticker somewhere...

Edit:  Pic of sticker:   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7345553969&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I edited this three times!   :shock:  Must be a record.
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 06:46:41 PM »
I tried photographing the residue as best I could, but it didn't show very well, so I outlined the shape in black. Unfortunately it doesn't look like a G. Hardy one.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »
Finally got around to taking a properly lit photograph!

Does it help and poke anyone in the memory department?  :lol:

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 09:29:36 AM »
Pinkspoons,
A very nice set. At one stage Riihimäki had a clear triangular label, with curved corners. The text read Riihimäki / Suomi / Finland. Unfortunately, I don't have one I can photograph. Maybe someone else will, and could measure it for you.

The shape of the glasses looks kind of a possibility too. OK that's just speculation - and I'm probably hideously wrong.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

The only other triangular label that springs to mind is Süssmuth, but the corners are sharp & the set doesn't look typical of their production. I'll post a pic when my camera is charged.

robbo
robbo

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:36:48 AM »
Pinkspoons - here's the Riihimäki label.
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »
Ah, that could be a possibility! There are no paper traces on the jugs, and the glue residue is the type which could suggest a plastic label.

I've just never heard of Riihimäki tableware, though. Not that I'm an expert - not by a long shot! :) I do recall Riihimaen doing some, though, so it's quite likely that Riihimäki did also.

Thanks for the input, though - I'm sure someone will come along to aye or naysay it soon.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 10:30:41 AM »
Riihimäki did produce water sets / decanter sets. At one stage they were, I believe, the largest glass producer in Finland. The best known is probably Nanny Still's Harlekiini, which included glasses, jugs, decanters etc. there is another waterset and other glasses / decanters illustrated in Modernes Glas aus Finnland (catalogue from a travelling exhibition in Germany, 1989-90).
Their tableware seems to be much less well known than that produced by Iittala and Nuutajärvi.

Interesting to see if there are any other suggestions - so much good quality tableware seems to end up, unfortunately, as unidentified!!  :?  :?
robbo

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 10:31:34 AM »
as far as I know Riihimaen and Riihimäki is ONE glasswork - just different Finnish spelling  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 10:51:15 AM »
Ah, I didn't know they were the same company! How odd to have two names.

It would explain why I've seen the Harlekiini set listed as by Riihimaen.

I agree about the huge quantities of unidentified tableware. I think a lot of this style just gets lumped in as generic Polish glassware when no one can put a manufacturer to them, though.

Krosno, it's the dumping ground of the Scandi glass world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand