No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Jug & Glasses Set w/ Triangular Label: Riihimäki?  (Read 17120 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Purple Jug & Glasses Set w/ Triangular Label: Riihimäki?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 06:14:27 PM »
ree mah kee
ree may hen la si

oi!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »
Yay - so now I know! Many thanks, I won't look like so much of a dope now if ever I try to say them in public.  :lol:  :oops:

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"

You can see a little more about Riihimaki here.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/RemarkableRiihimaki.html

Glen,
Thanks for the link, I've seen the occasional piece of Riihimäki carnival before, but nothing as expansive as this. I was especially interested to see the Riihimäki mark.

My knowledge of the Finnish language is very limited but as I understand it, Oy is a shortened form of the word Osakeyhtiö, of which the nearest equivalent in the UK is a "private limited company" - as opposed to one where the shares are publicly traded. There's a neat explanation here.

As I understand it the company's original 'official' name in 1910 was 'Oy Riihimäki', but was renamed 'Riihimäen Lasi Oy' in 1937. Post WWII glass, when marked, usually seems to be done in this form, whether with the circular etched stamp or with the hand-engraved mark. In the catalogue from the Sunderland exhibition from 1996, Finnish Post War Glass, there's an Arttu Brummer piece catalogued as 1937 marked like this too. There's seems less consistancy amongst the labels though - I've examples with both 'Riihimäen Lasi' and 'Riihimäki'.

Ivo - thanks for the pronounciation tips - I can stop mumbling now. :lol:  :lol:
robbo

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »
I'm glad you liked the Riihimaki link - and thanks for your info too, Robbo.

I'm a bit passionate about my Riihimaki Carnival - it really is beautiful glass and almost always has a magnificent iridescence. The town of Riihimaki isn't my favourite place, but the glass museum is wonderful and they have a really good little cafe/restaurant too!
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 08:08:43 PM »
Riihimäen is the genitive (showing possession) form of Riihimäki.   As stated Riihimäen Lasi Oy was the company name (Oy means Plc) located in Riihimäki.  

The old factory of Riihimäen Lasi now hosts the Finnish Glass Museum - so if you are ever around I recommend a visit there.  This sommer they had e.g. a real nice exhibition of glass by new Finnish designers - rather impressive works - and of course all the classics of Finnish glass design.

TMaritta

P.S.  Just read the comment about Oy and learnt something new too!  Well when Riihimäen Lasi Oy was still operating I don't think they had this OyJ company form, just plain Oy...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 08:11:20 PM »
I'll have to drop hints to my partner about how nice a holiday in Finland would be for my birthday... via Denmark, of course, so I can stop by the Holmegaard shop...  :D

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »
TMaritta - wasn't that pretty much what I said? Or did I go wrong somewhere?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 08:21:10 PM »
Quote from: "Robbo"

Ivo - thanks for the pronounciation tips - I can stop mumbling now. :lol:  :lol:

We should start a thread giving the pronunciations of all of the more difficult (difficult for us British folk, at least!) glass makers.  :lol: Even with something as simple as Holmegaard I've heard at least three different variations at fairs...

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 08:42:51 PM »
Thank you tmaritta - I hoped so much you would comment!!
Glen - yes, you did, but with tmaritta's it is irresistable   :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 09:10:14 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
TMaritta - wasn't that pretty much what I said? Or did I go wrong somewhere?

Glen

Glen,  

Sure, you pretty much stated what the common reference to this company is - just wanted to share the additional information what Riihimäen vs.  Riihimäki means.   Oh, and I was probably reading your comment too fast and didn't really notice you addressed this point as well.  No offence meant!

Cheers,
TMaritta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand