No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mystery Celery for id please.  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
mystery Celery for id please.
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
Celeries make a good group to collect  -  they must have one of the most infinitely variable shapes/styles/patterns of glass products (except perhaps drinking glasses), although they seem to be drying up a little in recent times.   This one is obviously modern (mid C20) insofar as it is ringed down at the base with a band of 'Matthey Crinkles' (sorry - what is the origin of this expression?).  I'm wondering if this one has any connection to Chance in view of the metalic coloured band at top rim  -  just like some of the Chance plates.   It is obviously British (sorry, from an English speaking country) - although quite smallish in comparison with some of the footed and stemmed Victorian examples.  size: 15 cms. tall x about 10.5 cms. wide.   sorry the pics. are slightly naff.       Does anyone have any thoughts on this please, and thanks for looking.    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: mystery Celery for id please.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Do a search on here for Matthey Crinkles  ;) Johnson Matthey sold transfers worldwide.

Your celery has nothing to do with Chance: pressed and slumped glass only in this context. Anything blown was made for them elsewhere, and this is not one of those items.

My guess would be that your celery might not even be English. Just a gut feeling. I might even look at Borske Sklo. It's probably not really a celery, more a tax-avoiding luxury goods item otherwise known as a vase. As you said, it's rather small for celery (why can't I type that word right first time).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
many thanks Christine - I recall reading elsewhere (can't remember where, but it might have been one of the Miller's books) that some other well known factory used this word on a glass item just to get round the tax issue.  I have had a look in the search bank and seen some of the interesting notes on the Matthey Crinkles, so thanks for that  -  very interesting  -  quite remarkable how iconically (probably no such word) mid (ish) C 20 they look, although believe David Encill has commented that they had their origins in the early 1930's.    Anyway, I will carry on looking and try your suggestions.     As a touch typist, don't think I have 'troule' with this word, but looking at the screen and sending fingers over to letters like 'y or b is always a pain  -  likewise little pinkies don't seem to like the z and q.   thanks again.  Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »
Lots of factories used the weasel word celery on vases, including Chance, so that's really only a dating clue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand