No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very unusual George VI Commemorative Basket  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
George VI Basket
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 01:11:15 PM »
Tony - many thanks for your reply and suggestion. I had checked out John Bell's website (some luscious glass) but I don't feel that the baskets are quite like my George VI example. I've actually got a blue pearline example of the twig handled one shown there - and we've compared it to the larger George VI one. They are surely made in the same way, but they are not identical in terms of mould etc.

So I'm really still at the point where I'm saying it could be Sowerby or Greener. No proof as to which (if that's the case) yet.

More later - and still pondering here  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Very unusual George VI Commemorative Basket
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:14:44 AM »
Lots of ponderings that need furthering perhaps, please :)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 09:17:54 AM »
If my ponderings had been furthered, I'd have posted.  :shock:

I'd welcome anyone else's ponderings, though.  :lol:

Glen

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
George VI basket
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 04:32:39 PM »
My wife and I have three baskets like this: crystal, amber, and blue. I cannot offer any help as to their manufacturer, but I can tell you a bit about how they were probably made. I have had the mouldmakers at Fenton Art Glass look at all three baskets of our baskets as well as several other similar ones (i. e., pressed handle) made in England or the US (there is a US Patent dating from the 1880s for such an item, and I am still researching this). One basket made in England actually has what would be called a “looped” handle, and there is also an English-made basket commemorating a bridge that is made this way.

The Fenton mouldmakers are of the opinion that the baskets were not pressed upside down. Such would necessitate all the figure work to be on the plunger, a difficult proposition, indeed.

A press mould consists of these parts: mould, bottom plate, plunger, and ring. Typically, each of these is a separate piece, and all must fit together snugly. The various joint marks on the basket suggest that the plunger is bifurcated (two parts which come together during pressing) and the handle is created by what is a called a deep ring. There is a joint mark right across the center of the basket and directly below the center of the handle.

The key technological problem is getting the glass to flow properly to create the handle. We are still pondering whether this piece was simply pressed to shape (the best case scenario economically) or whether a former was employed after pressing.

If you have the book devoted to the L. G. Wright Glass Co. by Measell/Roetteis look at figs. 904-905 and 909-910. These will help you visualize how a plunger can be bifurcated.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 02:57:12 PM »
I've just had a thought about Bernard's "materials" allegedly supplied by Jobling.  There used to be an outfit called, I think, E J Jobling-Purser who were maybe half a mile from the Jobling factory.  They supplied fuel oils (not to Jobling in my time I think) and were certainly connected to the family.  I think some early histories refer to this.

Fuel oil is certainly a "material", although not in the sense we were thinking about.  A possibility, allowing for a little confusion of names?

Adam D.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
A Mystery Solved
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
Steve and I have a new website – although it is predominantly devoted to Carnival Glass it also includes info on pressed glass etc. In the course of our recent Carnival research we discovered the answer to a mystery that has been eluding us for many years: the research and the illustrative analysis is shown on our new website.

Here is the topic that started our hunt for the answer (I wrote it in September 2004)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,339.0.html

The maker was not Sowerby, nor Davidson, nor Greener/Jobling, but was in fact Matthew Turnbull of Sunderland.

My new website address is:

http://www.thistlewoods.net

To see the article on Turnbull go to News on the top bar.

Glen

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: A Mystery Solved
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »
Well done both. Is your other website coming down eventually?

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: A Mystery Solved
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
 :hiclp: Fantastic stuff, Glen!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Very unusual George VI Commemorative Basket
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:28 AM »
Result topic merged with original topic to keep all the information in one place. 8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
Re: Very unusual George VI Commemorative Basket
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
I would have to do a bit of re-reading to give all the details but if memory serves me right Jobling Purser were suppliers of chemicals to the glass industry and (im struggling now) didnt they financially take over Greener when things went belly up and change the name to Jobling but still stay in business as Jobling Purser chemicals?
UK GLASS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand