No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay Item 7361986430 - ID  (Read 5651 times)

Offline thomasandkatherine

• Members
Ebay Item 7361986430 - ID
« on: October 31, 2005, 05:55:01 AM »
I have a uranium stump lady and bowl listed currently on Ebay under number 7361986430.  I have had a query regarding the date of manufacture.  I have always been interested in getting an ID for this particular piece and now is a good time to raise it with the Board.  Is there anyone out there who may know the manufacturer and approximate date of manufacture of the piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7361986430&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1

Mod: Replacement pics requested.
Alison Robley, Australia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:14 AM »
I think it might be Sowerby. I often see them on eBay described as such (not that that is anything to go by).

There is currently a pink one in one of my charity shops for £6 with bowl. I resisted buying it because the figure has a chip in it and I don't think the bowl matches the figure.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
Sowerby
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 08:24:35 AM »
Hi, the Sowerby piece has the same subject matter but is larger.  She is generally seen with a bowl with large cabbage roses on the base or another bowl with interconnecting starbursts.  This piece is different and I believe is Czech but that is all I know.

By the way, what sort of bowl does your lady in the charity shop come with????
Alison Robley, Australia

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:39:58 AM »
I've forgotton what the pink bowl looks like but if the bowl is still there today I will take a picture.  :)

The pink figure in the shop seems to have a mould line running right through the centre.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK

• Members
Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:33 PM »
The lady in the photos is the Sowerby piece.  The bowl is original, I believe.  It is the bowl I described with interconnecting starbursts on the base.  These sets generally sell for around GBP10 to GBP15 on Ebay and a lot more in Australia.  If I saw one of these in a second hand shop in Australia for $15 (rough equivalent of GBP6) I would be taking it home with me pronto.

You can probably see the difference between the pink and uranium figures.  I have attached a link to another photo of my figure so a better comparison can be made.

http://www.glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=24&pos=4
Alison Robley, Australia

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:33:36 AM »
The lady looks genuine to me - the stump is actually a pedestal that also acts as the flower frog, I have found that earlier bowls with central figures seem to be in two pieces, later on you get three pieces (bowl, frog, figurine) for e.g. Inwald's 'Poisson Volant' anyone any idea why that is?

Here
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/mc/czech/list.htm
Top right hand corner 1930s two piece version

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/
Top right hand corner what I believe is version made post war up to 1960s

I have both versions and from the base ware and scratching I have concluded the blue one on the Black Poppy site like my own is 1930s, the amber three piece version is so clean and new looking

The eBay item is in two pieces which is a good indication
I believe it is by 'Cambridge Glass' USA - take a look at the below link, the ridged pedestal is typical of their work

http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/sold/cambridge/list.htm

On the same site is the exact same model of figure as one being sold on eBay http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/sold/cambridge/me17.jpg small green, it does not have the ridged or gadrooned pedestal/frog but they did smooth versions as well, the point is the shape is an exact match and you can see looking through the different pages on Black Poppy that the base is very ‘Cambridge’

As to the bowl, there would have been different shapes, and although it is not shown on Black Poppy site, I am sure it is original and Cambridge as well

I do think the price asked is a bit steep, but that is just my opinion, I am sure Black Poppy would be pleased to advise you

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 12:39:48 AM »
Ref above post - link is to website to get picture I am talking about click on 'Markhbienn'

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/
Top right hand corner what I believe is version made post war up to 1960s

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 03:15:51 AM »
Hi, similar in style as are all of three of the stump figures but not the same and far finer in detail and workmanship.  It is not Cambridge...the Cambridge figure is also known as "Bashful Charlotte" or the "Draped Lady" - moulds were sold to Imperial and later produced as figurines etc I believe.

I am almost certain that my piece is Czech but would still be grateful for an ID
Alison Robley, Australia

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:21:07 AM »
I forgot to say, the Cambridge figures do not have a ridged base as mentioned.  I have owned a couple. The ribbed appearance is, in fact, the flower holes in silhouette.  Also, I have sold two of three of the uranium pieces before and have good experience of the price they fetch on the Ebay market.
Alison Robley, Australia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand