No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?  (Read 11177 times)

Offline Tim

• Members
Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Hi, can someone enlighten me as to the truth behind a statement that I read recently, that all Sklo Union Bullet vases by Rudolf Schrotter (1955) have slight fractures around the 4 faces near the top of the vase as a result of the manufacturing process?
Many thanks Tim

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Re: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
Looking at mine, I can see a vertical line on each face towards the top of the vase.  I have no idea of the manufacturing process, but would say that they are not cracks and are more like seams.  I am only able to feel them on the inside of the vase in all four cases, which would not be so with cracks.

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
They are press moulded so they will have seams.

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
Hi, now you mention it that makes perfect sense, thanks for taking the time to answer my inane query.
Many thanks Tim

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
I didn't think it was inane at all.  It made me have a really close look at one of my favourite vases, which is always a pleasure.  Keep a look out for my posts if you would like to delve into real banality.   :24:

All the best,
Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
I think I'm a bit confused as to what is a 'seam' and what is a 'fracture'.  Tim talks about what he thinks are fractures on the 4 faces of the vase...  As it is a pressed piece, they could very well be the seams (as he's told)...  and here is my problem:   

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get my hands on an amethyst 915/200 vase.  I can see two clear seam lines going down opposite sides of the vase (not on the lens or face, but on the corner -- see 2nd picture).  These seam lines cannot be felt from the inside, only from the outside.

There is also what I believe to be a 'fracture' on each face, beginning approximately 1cm below the rim, moving down towards the bottom of the lens.  These lines are not uniform -- each differs from the next as to position and curve. (See pictures 3 and 4 for examples.)

Could Tim have been right?  As they appear on the faces, perhaps they are fractures and not seams.  (By the way, the 'fractures' in my piece can be felt on the inside.) 

One more question:  Was the bullet vase formed using a 2-part mould?

Thank you -- especially for you patience with me  :-[.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
I can't see anything, but they may be annealing marks, which are OK and appear in a lot of pressed glass. Don't forget the design might be good but the quality wasn't always so hot and quality standards weren't as high as they are now.

I think most Sklo Union products used two parts moulds as they were cheaper. Marcus discusses it in the book somewhere. Seams from two part moulds are symmetrical on symmetrical items such as these.

If your marks are fractures, they will be two dimensional, i.e., you will be able to see the surface line and (and you may need to look from different angles) you will see the line where it goes trough the glass as a definite plane. The edge you can feel will be sharp. Annealing marks have rounded edges.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to respond, Christine  :)

I've taken a closer look at the vase.  I think the lines, in my case, are definitely fractures.  Though I can feel them on the inside, I've just realized that they can also be felt, very, very lightly, on the outside. Also, when I hold the vase up at an angle, 2 lines/fractures appear (it is the same line, but looks like 2 due to the thickness of the glass).  This 'effect' appears on all 4 sides.

Looks like I've bought yet another damaged piece.  :'(   It's such a shame because the vase, otherwise, is in perfect condition -- not even a fleabite on the base or rim.  

Woe is me.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
Sounds like stress fractures. We all do it. I bought a beautiful piece of carnival glass (cheap in a charity shop) with really good iridescence and about six stress fractures, so I discovered several months later.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't handle damage very well...   :spls:

To make matters worse, I paid 51zl for it (about 10 pounds).  Not so cheap if you ask me.   :hb2:

I need a piece of chocolate...  or a hug... or better yet, a new undamaged piece of 'old' glass to add to my collection...   :usd:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand