No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?  (Read 11179 times)

Offline px

• Members
Re: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
Thank you John ! And Anik, of those pictures !  :)

Although being on the losing side (thanks Paul S.  ;) ) for my linguistic handicap as well as lack of experience in this field I still think these pictures and discussion already have helped me a lot.   :hiclp: Telling newbies about it being wise to use some consideration as there may be different views for how to interprete certain flaw describing words is not actually harmful ?

Oh, for example like my opinion of what a "flea bite" is nearer to Anik's.  As I thought it would be just a small needle mark type of a small dot for example if the object has hit something pointy or a corner etc. Never a missing piece = "chip". But - as noted, an eager seller might want to belittle a flaw.

However, just a list of the words or terms helps a foreigner like me. But like I said, those pictures of suggestions what the words would apply to is just perfect!

Ha, Anik, thanks for the laugh! "Rare inter-war Murano...."  ;D   

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
By the way, and idea: it would be nice if someone would have the time to  start a thread and take pictures of these different kinds of flaws one might encounter in glass.

There's been an album in GlassGallery awaiting just such input for a while:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=638

To those who don't know, GlassGallery is the board's dedicated image hosting where we can collect such information in an easy to find format, rather than having to search thousands of posts for it here on the board itself.

It needs a separate registration (which needs activating by me manually to prevent rogue signups/spammers etc posting images we don't want to see!) so once you register give me a short time to pick up that you have done and activate you. I normally check the user list there 2-3 times per day for activations.

There is also a comprehensive walk through of how to sign up, create your own albums if you want to, and add images to your own or the community / open albums:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=638 - shout if you get stuck!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
to quote Anik R....'half (if not more) of what you read on these on-line auction sites is a bunch of bull'.  
That was my whole point :).....I was being cynical and drawing attention to the fact that you only have to look at ebay to see the myriad of personal interpretations that people make, to realize that trying to standardize this terminology is nigh on impossible.    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. :)  Of course, in general GMB members are genuine enough to be honest and truthful with their descriptions, and hopefully wouldn't exagerate - and px I have nothing but admiration for your linguistic skills - your English is exceptional.   Having looked at John's pics., I would agree with his description of each fault, except the use of the words 'straw marks' - since they proabably have zero to do with straw, and therefore we should use another word/s.  Annealing fault/shrinkage lines/mould marks??   someone please???    Having said that, I'm sure someone will tell me that historically they were caused by straw :D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
Whoops, I had not noticed the "flaws in glass" album Anne, I will add these photos and we can always remove them when better examples turn up.

A chip is a chip is a chip, regardless of it's size, if there is a bit of glass missing that has broken off after an impact then it is a chip (as far as I am concerned). You can have big chips and little chips, hey, you can have medium sized chips if you want. Do I sound well balanced? Must be because I have chips on both shoulders. ;D

I think the mark made by an impact when a would be chip does not actually separate from the rest of the glass is sometimes referred to as a bruise, not 100% sure everyone means the same thing though when they use the term.....

Paul, shrinkage marks would do for me too, they are caused (I think) by the hot glass cooling on contact with a cold mould (or plunger). The surface of the glass therefor cools and is more viscous and so does not flow as it might, causing these little 'folds' in the surface. Assuming I am not barking up the wrong tree yet again.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
Straw marks have nothing to do with straw; glass hot enough to mark would turn straw to charcoal in seconds.

If they are in the base of an item, they are shear marks and result from the shears being used to cut off the gob of pressed glass being cool. Consequently, you get a line of cooler glass in your lump and the line remains when the item is pressed.

Sometimes you get little channels that you can put your finger nail in. Not sure what causes these, but perhaps a draught during annealing or a cooler spot in the mould during pressing. Whatever they are, they were formed while the glass was hot because they are not sharp.

I think slight temperature uneveness in the glass gob perhaps results in the faint ripples you get. Uneven cooling would also explain why the bases on mould-blown items ripple sometimes. I'm not talking much in the way of temperature difference, because it wouldn't take much.

There are a lot of variables in hand pressing or hand blowing glass.

John seems to be agreeing with me.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
I have always assumed straw marks were these 'cooling lines' or ripples but may well be mixing up my terms.

This photo shows these cooling lines much better, they are on this Hoglund animal, behind the left eye. These Boda figures are cast and not pressed but the way these lines form is a result of the same process.

Shear marks are also quite common on Sklo Union production around the rims of vases, they can look like very fine (sometimes black) lines on the surface of the glass (right on the top of the rim).

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 03:14:31 AM »
John, I think the marks you've shown are lap marks? if you scroll back to my last post and click on the link, Glen has given a definition of these (describing them as looking like a mark on an apple left by a fingernail).

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 05:27:21 AM »
Anik:

Knowing your stance on imperfect glass, I know all you can do now is donate the imperfect pieces to an imperfect collector. As the prime candidate for such a position, may I send you my postal address?

Now I'm off to Czech my Schrötter vases. Later: they may be small, but they are unblemished.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 05:50:17 AM »
Ha!  David, fortunately I've come to terms with the 'slight stray from perfection' found in most of the 914 vases...  Plus, my amethyst 20cm vase is absolutely perfect in every other aspect... not even a flea bite on it.  ;D

So you go Czech your Schrotter vases...  Czech them very closely...  and let me know if you need a strong shoulder to cry on.   :usd:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »
That shoulder, it seems, would be my own.

Your heartless creature.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand