No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?  (Read 11183 times)

Offline px

• Members
Re: Fractures on the 4 faces of Schrotter's Sklo Bullet Vases?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
HA ! Very interesting! I took a very close look to my 2 Shrötter lense vases too and yes!
Both have these certain vertical lines going down, not the corner but the lens face and on the inside.
Although they go down a little randomly curved - not straight vertically,  they don't look like "fractures" in my eyes...? (this is word I knew  but still checked it in the dictionary it means something that is broken, right?) That is I don't think they are, but how would I know.  :-[

Still, I would guess it has to do with the process of making ?

Oops, and only now I read Christine already explained us about the annealing marks.
Anik ? are you sure, I hope your are wrong anyway,  (sorry  :kissy: ) and that your vase is not going to fall apart. There aren't any cracks going through the glass....?

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
Oh, how I do wish to be wrong!  (At least on this occassion  :).)

My 'lines' also go down in a randomly curved fashion, and they begin about 1 cm from the top.  The vase doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.  BUT, if I look ever so closely, I can see these same lines on the outside of the piece... and I can feel them, though they are extremely subtle. 

Maybe I can convince myself that they are annealing marks... 

Yes, I'm feeling much better now.  "Annealing marks" it is.  ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
I've just felt my stress cracks and I can only feel the crack with my finger nail in one direction on any side. Cracks are always slightly angled; not perpendicular to the plane of the glass. Like this http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/structure/faults/normal/index.htm

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
I have 13 and they all have these marks which must be part of the manufacturing process. I can feel them all on the inside and I can see how they might be thought of as fractures but I am pretty sure they aren't.

I always thought of them as mould lines but annealing marks works for me although I am still not sure exactly what that means. :)

Well done on finding a purple one, I am still missing this colour but I did find a large Vizner vase today which has made me happy.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
I went back to my vase to see if I really can feel the 'fracture' on the outside part...  I can, but only at the very top, and in both directions...   :huh:  

I checked my two 150mm vases and both suffer from the same 'phenomenon', but to lesser degrees as I cannot feel anything on the outside.  Perhaps these lines really are simply part of the manufacturing process, and not what we would necessarily classify as a fracture or crack.

Terrible shame that I ate all that chocolate...  :spls:...

P.S.  Nemmie, initially you made my day by saying I've got a colour you don't, despite having 13 vases...  I really don't see why you had to go and ruin it by bragging you found a large Vizner piece  :mrgreen:...  

;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
As a suggestion, try shining a torch at the suspect area and the light should (if it is a true fracture or break) be refracted at that point throughout the entire thickness of the glass.   of course, if you have more than one of the same kind of vase, then tapping both might provide a different sort of resonance  i.e. the fractured piece giving a duller note that the perfect one.   I have the bullet in blue, clear and amber (I think) and will have a look later today just out of curiosity, but as far as I know, they are all wholesome :)    I should bin yours Anik >:D

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
Alright, I took my flashlight and shined it at the 'suspect areas'...  I didn't notice any refraction -- then again, I might not exactly know what refraction should look like  ::)...   But I do appreciate the suggestion  :).

By the way, Paul:
... I should bin yours Anik >:D

You know I love it when you talk dirty  ;)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »

P.S.  Nemmie, initially you made my day by saying I've got a colour you don't, despite having 13 vases...  I really don't see why you had to go and ruin it by bragging you found a large Vizner piece  :mrgreen:...  

;D

3236 for £4. Not too bad :). Sorry.

I should also mention that the prominence of the fault in the lens vase does vary from vase to vase that I own. On some it is very pronounced on others I had to look very hard to see it.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
3236 for £4. Not too bad :). Sorry.

:o :o :o...   :thud:  That was a fortunate find...  I am jealous.  :)

I should also mention that the prominence of the fault in the lens vase does vary from vase to vase that I own. On some it is very pronounced on others I had to look very hard to see it.

So do you think the lines that go through the lens-part are a 'fault' or just a general quirk resulting from the manufacturing process?  I'm just wondering how we should look upon them.  :huh:

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
:o :o :o...   :thud:  That was a fortunate find...  I am jealous.  :)

So do you think the lines that go through the lens-part are a 'fault' or just a general quirk resulting from the manufacturing process?  I'm just wondering how we should look upon them.  :huh:

Part of the character of the piece as they all have it in some form or the other it is an essential part of their make up. I don't think of it was a defect just a slight stray from perfection and nobody or thing is perfect. :)
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand