No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id for double frosted green cake stand please - ID = Sowerby 2455  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I was thinking Bagley  - but its only a feeling, based on the slightly frosted part of the piece.  I have a Davidson cake stand with similar slumped wavy edges, so cud I suppose be one of theirs.   Its not uranium by the way (bit of a change for me ;D).   Don't know if anyone else picks up these cake stands  -  I think they are attractive and very 'Lyons Corner House'.   Grateful for an accurate attribution if someone does know the factory/Seller, and thanks for looking.  Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: id for cake stand please.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
Hi Paul, it's Sowerby 2455 - I have one here:
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-4 (mine gets used for all sorts, not just cakes! e.g. salad, biscuits, etc!!!)

Mine ID'd here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1419.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
thanks Anne  -  you mean to say that you actually use some of your glass!!   shock/horror ;)   But seriously, it wud make sense to use pieces like this, no high value, and very suited to practical use.   Thanks especially for the link showing the original id for yours  -  very interesting to read much of the first hand account from Adam, and think I wud agree with him that 'crimped' sounds better than 'ruffled' - which is an expression used very much in reference to C19 glass where this 'wavy edge' effect is quite common.  I don't see many of these, probably most have gone to the glass graveyard, and probably very un-popular for younger people.   thanks again. Paul S.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
More common than you may realise, I have several and like Anne use them  ;D have also given a few to family who use them too. I also have a couple of single tiered ones on aluminium pedestals, all of which come in to use at Christmas - not only for cakes, sweets etc but as bases for floral arrangements. Also used  for centre displays of fruit and my daughter who is 17yrs and a great sponge cake maker, reaches for the single tiered one to display her latest creation  ;D
I also have plates with no fixings in the same design that have been used for salads etc.
Hil  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
well, I did say not common with younger people ;).   I wud probably collect more if  a) I was capable of cooking cakes, and b) if they didn't have a rather large footprint.   I assume you mean the sort of cone shaped aluminium pedestals  on the Davidson examples which have the prunts around the side and I think is pattern No. 269  -  or maybe the hobnail pattern examples (usually in deep blue or pale green) which I think are Davidson also.  Do most of yours come from boot sales, or do you acquire them eslewhere?   But they are interesting nonetheless.     Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »
Paul, yes I use a lot of my glass!  :24:

Mine are all boot fair and charity shop finds. When a friend came to stay years ago she fell in love with my glass cake stands, so every time we went out we had to search for some for her. She went home on the train to London with half a dozen of the all glass types wrapped up in her clothes in her suitcase! (She was around 25 at the time.)  I think I have six still here, I've sold some of mine as the cupboard was over-full with them all and 6 is enough for a gal methinks! ;D

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:44 AM »
Do most of yours come from boot sales, or do you acquire them eslewhere?

All of mine are boot sale/charity shop finds. :)

There is some interesting information about the metal fittings in this thread Paul

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1419.msg9100.html#msg9100

Anne also has an album of different cake stands (yours is shown on page 2 of Anne's album) here

http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/thumbnails.php?album=2

Hil  :)

Offline CEH

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
Hi

I have seen the pattern on the first pic on a plate in the museum at Nazeing Glass Works.  Perhaps they made some for Davidsons - there was a lot of making for other firms going on it seems.

I have a white one (and a pink one but it has a big crack in it) identical apart from its lower plate being larger than the top one - a style I think looks more balanced.  Sorry no pic of it but it is wrapped up and in a box ready for an Antique Fair tomorrow.

Probably all bought by me from car boot sales!

Cheers

Christine

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
Christine (St. Albans) - not quite sure I'm with you re the ""identical apart from its lower plate being larger than the top one - a style I think looks more balanced""  -  I thought they all came that way round  -  No?............and when you say "white" - assume you mean flint (simply clear glass).   But I do think that your ""and a pink one but it has a big crack in it"  -  shud definitely be framed! ;)   Hope you do well at the Fair by the way.     Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Stephen could have it wrong at his museum...

Cakestands more often have smaller tops than bottoms IMHO. Marriages are possible of course

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand