No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a genuine Murano bird?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline aslan7

• Members
Is this a genuine Murano bird?
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Murano-Italian-Art-Glass-Swan-AVEM_W0QQitemZ170399137919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ac94807f

Greetings. I really like Murano ducks and swans and would like to know if the above is correct. Something about the neck seems exaggerated and there are others around, which makes me suspicious. Thanks for any opinion you may elect to offer!

RT

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Is this a genuine Murano bird?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
The bird appears to be Murano to me.  I am not too sure about the AVeM attribution though. 

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »
Birds with this type of base usually have a "Genuine Venetian Glass" label on bottom of them. It's difficult to know who made them. I've wondered about AVeM, but I haven't found any clues out there that say definitely yes or no.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the information. I wish there were a book out there somewhere where I could learn about Murano ducks and how to recognize their vintages and makers. Prices are all over the place and the attributions are a mess. Pina's reference book does little to clarify the situation. To my taste they are very elegant although border on kitsch. rt

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »
A few of the ducks are in the Murano zoo. You can click the link of my signature to see the different animals that have been attributed. Many of the birds and animals are very difficult to attribute because the generic stickers have not been attributed to any certain company. Some pieces are found only with generic stickers. The prize is finding one that has an actual company sticker... but then one has to wonder if the sticker is real or if someone added it later. There is some dishonesty out there, unfortunately, with some people adding stickers or forging signatures. (For example, I recently saw a piece that I looks like it was made by Fratelli Toso, but was signed Archimede Seguso. The type of piece in question rarely has any label at all. So do I believe the signature or trust my instincts to let the piece remain unattributed? The seller in question sells a few things with questionable signatures, so the decision to trust my instincts was easier. Still, it gave me something to think about.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »
Yes, the Murano Zoo is incredibly useful and fun to browse through. I wonder if the earlier ducks and swans have articulated webbed feet. It certainly seems that way; the one I referenced above has the presumably later base consisting of four blobs, if you will, of glass. I bought one with an original sticker on the base. The earlier ones seem to have a more quizzical attitude, posed asymmetrically as they are. In any case I like the attribution game as I am a professional art historian. Little did I expect to apply my skills to ducks! RT

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
I don't think this is AVEM either...definitely Murano though...lovely piece...even though i am not into the animals...i love the neck on this and the colours....wonderful... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand