No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Seguso paperweight - for real?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Signed Seguso paperweight - for real?
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »
For real? :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370331290954#ht_4478wt_750

Lily

(Wasn't sure if this should go here or under Paperweights.)

Offline ejean9

• Members
Re: Signed Seguso paperweight - for real?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Hi Lily
I have a bowl signed by Seguso..i dont think it means the man himself signed it..just that it came from his factory/design...but someone with better knowledge will know more.
Jean

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
There was some sculptural pieces like this in the 80's and I think you can see some examples on the Seguso web site. Signatures on the bottom mean little these days as a lot of  ebayers think it is smart to disfigure glass with phoney signatures. Archimede Seguso only signed his very significant pieces personally in the early days, most of these are in collections or museums. There are some out there with a small neat signature most probably by an apprentice and these are also considered genuine and I have one myself also with label. This is most probably what ejean has.

Having said this, the seller offering this piece appears to be a genuine dealer. They also have a pyramid for sale that is claimed as A.Seguso also, so who knows. I am not a fan of these geometric shapes as I think they will be too easy to replicate later.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »
Then the cobalt paperweight in question is most likely an A. Seguso piece.  The cone gives the best hint at the rich cobalt color.  My impression of Venetian designs ran along a much more ornate line.  Now I see there is so much more .... ;D

Here are some similar geometric weights that I have.  (None are signed, Seguso, or even Venetian most likely.)  They were inexpensive and very nice to hold in one's hand.  The rich turquoise is my favorite.

Thank you both for your replies ..... Lily :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12306

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »
your very welcome Lily..my signed bowl should be someplace on the murano thread..if it helps..i got mine boxed, with leaflet and everything..so stunning..one of my most treasured pieces..Lily..have bumped the thread for you..its the one that says "opinions please"..you can see the sig there.
Jean

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 04:48:30 AM »
Jean, thanks so much for bumping your thread.  I posted a reply there.  Unfortunately, I could not make out the signature (must be my eyes 8)) or am I looking in the wrong place (base photo)?  It's amazing the box and leaflet were included and in such good condition.

Congratulations! .... Lily :clap:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand