No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: opinions please ?  (Read 6689 times)

Offline ejean9

• Members
Re: opinions please ?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
The leaflet has no date that i can see, the only "time"reference i can see on it is in reference to "Gino and Antonio Seguso, the company has been among the top glass blowing enterprises of the world for over 50 years" ..dont know if that helps..the bowl is sooo stunning..i am blown away by how fab it is in real life !..I am wondering if it was a commissoned piece due to the box ? or perhaps a wedding gift long forgotton (sigh) i am finding it hard to see it as an "older" piece due to how new the whole package looks (bar a slight musty smell) ! I doubt this bowl was ever on display..

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
Hi:

This is a lovely piece of glass, simple, elegant, and yet completely opulent. The label, according to Ricke, 'Murano Glass' and Pina 'Archimede Seguso,' started to be used in the 1980's.

Congratulations!

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
Thanks David..i do love this piece...now my question is,do i display it in the box ? or out..and put the box away ?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
Simple for me: Do I collect glass or boxes? I'd keep the box but the glass is the focus.  But I also know different people have different tastes.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »
Hi David
the box shall be packed away..off now to find some acid free tissue to wrap it in..

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »
Yes, David is correct.  According to Murano Magic Antonio (Gino's son) began working for the firm in 1985. 

Interesting stuff.

http://www.boglewood.com/murano/producers/archimedeseguso.html

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
This is a little off topic but I ran into an interesting article earlier this year about Seguso Vetri d'Arte and Viro Seguso buying back the Seguso Vetri d'Arte just in time for SVA's 75th anniversary.   I thought I would share.   Reading about the Seguso family in Murano Magic reminded me of this article.

Here it is: http://www.tablewaretoday.com/Seguso-A.htm

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
cheers Tam..that was interesting..have bookmarked it.. ;)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »
That is gorgeous, elegant and understated, just how I like it. Particularly like the sticker in an indentation.

If you want to capture the gold effect (I am not asking btw) then you can photo it against a black background and it should show it up. Not necessary as it is perfect.

I agree with David put the box somewhere safe and dry and show the glass.

Well done great buy.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »
Ardy..i placed it into the cabinet under the light..it just shines beyond belief..i shall sleep in the living room tonight..lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand