No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two more paperweights.  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Two more paperweights.
« on: October 29, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
Any ideas as to what these two are please?

Large red p.w. 3.25" diam.  2" high.  with white and orange swirls.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass3.jpg

It has an unpolished pontil mark on the base and wear indicating age.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass2006.jpg

Small p.w.  Clear glass postules rising from a green bed.  Flat clear 0.25" base with a layer of white, a curious splash of orange which cannot be seen from the top.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass2003.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass012.jpg

Many thanks :lol:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Two more paperweights.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 07:03:44 PM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
Any ideas as to what these two are please?

Large red p.w. 3.25" diam.  2" high.  with white and orange swirls.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass3.jpg

I like this one - it's huge!    A nice splash of colour, just right for a cold day.   :D   I see the DVD in the background too...  :wink:  :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Two more paperweights.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 07:18:07 PM »
Hi Anne,

The large red one with "swirls" is of a general pattern known as "Marbrie" (usually four sections of pulled loops). No idea though where this one may have been made. I have a similar one in yellow with white marbrie loops, not so large, and it is hollow (judging by the lack of weight) but with a closed off base.

I think the one with decorative air bubbles ("postules") is probably modern Chinese.
KevinH

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Two more paperweights.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »
Thanks Max - glad you like it :P   It is bright! and it reminds me of those huge round sweets you get at the seaside, made from rock :lol:

Kev - many thanks :)  The 'Marbrie' is quite light considering its size, and I reckon is about the weight of the smaller one.  Is Marbrie a foreign term I've never heard of it before?  The smaller one is nice, but the bigger one wins hands down :lol:

Anne E.B

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Two more paperweights.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 12:21:50 AM »
Anne asked:
Is Marbrie a foreign term ...
I'm not sure when or where "marbrie" was first used but, according to Harold Newman's An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass, the term was based on the French word "marbre" (meaning marble).

Purists might say that a Marbrie weight should have a cane, or group of canes, at the top of the design. But any weight with festoons of this type can be called a Marbrie, even without a cane topping. (According to my understanding.)
KevinH

Offline EstlinClichy

• Members
Iding your two paperweights
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:39:57 PM »
For some unexplained reason, the Japanese suddenly started making paperweights in and through the 1960s. And just as suddenly, they stopped making them, or possibly never sent any out of Japan, but still attempt the art form.

The solid orange paperweight with cream stripe is in the Marbrie style and is Japanese, from sometime in the 1960s. I had a few of them that were brought back as a gift for me from a relative who went to Japan. Exact style as yours. One was reddish orange, one green, and one blue. She found them in an antique shop in Osaka. I sold them in the late 1990s. But be assured that it's Japanese.

The other weight - green base, elongated bubbles - is a basic gift shop or bric-a-brac shop paperweight and is from China. The Communists, not the Taiwanese. Those weights sell for around $7.99 in card shops and gift shops all over the U.S. and in home decor departments of large stores.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Two more paperweights.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »
Many thanks EstlinClichy  :P   Quite a surprise to discover its Japanese.  It does look very retro and 60s with its almost psychedelic colouring.  I just love it - its a real blast from the past :lol:

Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand