No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Art Glass Vase With Two Faces Sad & Happy, Czech? Can Anyone ID Please?  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Tim

• Members
Hi, does anyone know who designed and manufactured this piece of art glass? It is 120mm in Height and 100mm in diameter across the rim. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Hi Tim - it's made by Indiana, appearing in their 1988/9 catalogue, p.64, pattern number 7991.
See also this thread:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27462.0.html

robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tim

• Members
Hi Robbo
Many thanks that was a very fast response.
Tim

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Coming back to this older topic as I have found an image of the catalogue page of the Indiana Tiki glasses and the bases are different to that shown in this topic.

The Tiki I have is like that which Tim posted and the base has a vertical pattern, whereas the Indiana catalogue ones have a horizontal pattern round the base.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Thanks for posting the image.
I think that's from the Indiana 1978 catalogue. The versions (both large and small) with the different base like the OP with the vertical ridged, textured effect appear in the 1988/9 catalogue. The pattern numbers are different.

See my couple of posts on the other thread:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=27462

The catalogue download is still there but it's a weird early e-book Windows specific format.

The other interesting point is that these are still for sale in quantity on various commercial websites (Google "tiki bowl") so I'd guess the Indiana moulds or replicas of them are now being used elsewhere.

Robbo
robbo

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
As well as the base differences for the items from the dated catalogs, there is a clear difference in the "handles".

The OPs item (and the one that was linked to in Reply #1) have a smooth rounded shape flowing into, and perhaps sightly under, the chin. The other types have straight "handles" stopping short of the lower parts of the chin and retaining pretty much the same width all the way down.

Of course, there could have been many variations within each catalog - such as with the shape of the mouth shown in the earlier examples, where the olive version has a sort of "grimace" rather than a "snarl" or "smile".
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
That's true, Kev. The side bits on mine are not squared off like the Indiana ones are, and it has a nicer smile. :)
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6365.0.html

Robbo, can we get a screen grab of the 1988/9 catalogue version for comparison?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand