No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern Glass Furniture  (Read 3446 times)

peter144

Modern Glass Furniture
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:41:37 AM »
Several years ago, we bought one large and two small glass coffee tables from a store in New York City called Brancusi.  Tables were designed and manufactured to order.  The store is out of business.  The tables are made out of 1/2 clear heavy glass and the verticals are fused to the horizontals with what I assume is a UV seal process.  The edges appear green.

Does anybody know where I can get similar furniture or who the factory/assembler might be?

Thank you.

Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Modern Glass Furniture
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 09:11:14 AM »
Hi

I've seen similar to this, flat thick glass (not as much 1/2" thick though, far as I can remember)  the stack twisted or straight, forming the supports of the table top?  I've seen this in a furniture shop similar to Courts.  They were there when I went to buy a bed recently.  

Hope I've interpreted what you mean properly; most likely the ones you bought were superior quality.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

Modern Glass Furniture
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »
Gallotti & Radice could be of help

The first and still most innovative glass furniture company based in Milan - I am agent for part of the UK and know they will do a similar table to the one you bought, if it is in fact not the same (they have been going since the 1940s)

http://www.gallottiradice.it/ - email them and they will email you back with the nearest stockist - they won't sell direct as that cuts out the agents

If you want something made exactly the same, I have a company in Liverpool that makes all glass furniture using UV seal process, it is custom made and prices are very high

Most glass furniture uses float glass / amorphous silicon dioxide (SiO2) with the green tint, more expensive is lead or flint glass which is clear and is more in demand these days as it gives a crystal effect

In any case you should be able to get something very similar

Can you post a picture of the ones you have, I may be able to ID them, or one of my Milan companies may be able to help

Anonymous

Modern Glass Furniture
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 10:22:12 PM »
Picture I took four years ago of my Father with Mr. Gallotti (or is it Radice) who still designs to this day - also shows a typical table in bottom left hand corner - he always does this trick with the table :)

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/gr.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Modern Glass Furniture
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 02:49:48 AM »
The above guest was me

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand