No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber pressed glass candy jar in deco - Czech? ID = Stoelzle AG  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
Amber pressed glass candy jar in deco - Czech? ID = Stoelzle AG
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Heya!

I bought this candy jar about a year ago from a dealer in Sweden. He claimed it was a Simon Gate (Orrefors), which it obviously isn't. Anyway, I kinda like art deco so I bought it even though it has a small chip on the lid and it was pretty expensive. When I got back home I tried to find some info about it but didn't find any and it has been standing on a shelf ever since...

So, today I decided to try again and then I found this site! I noticed there were some resolved identifications with similar pieces in another section (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9067.0.html) so I'm hoping someone can help me?

It's 17cm tall including the lid and has a frosted finish on the sides. The label says "St" and is in the shape of a clover.

Best regards
Emil, Sweden

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Amber pressed glass candy jar in deco - Czech?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
Hi Emil,
it's the label of Stoelzle AG. You can find some examples of their output on Pamela's site:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/1stoelzle/stoelzle.html
The pattern of the green vase - first one in the second row - reminds me of your box.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
Re: Amber pressed glass candy jar in deco - Czech?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
Thanks Dirk!

So it's Austrian then. Is there any way to tell who designed it? I think I paid 35 euro for it, was that a rip off?

Regards
Emil

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Amber pressed glass candy jar in deco - Czech? ID = Stoelzle AG
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
Emil,
I can't help you with any designers' names unfortunately. Perhaps Pamela will
be able to tell you more about your item.
Concerning the price... commenting on that is always a delicate matter. You've
bought a nice Art Deco piece and obviously were willing to pay the seller's price.
Generally that's what a price is: the money someone is willing to pay for something.

(me taking lotus position and saying: a price is a price is a price)  ;)

...working on it...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
Or Czech, which I suspect is more likely, the company had factories in both countries.

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
V definitely Czech, Hermannshutte............
See the book and CDR, and particularly p 23 of the book.
Both Stoelzle and Inwald had head offices in Wien, but that does not make them Austrian, or by inference, German. In the light of subsequent Nazi actions towards both Jewish families, one should be very careful of how one classifies/refers to, this glass, and indeed, the families.
Certain family members are still seeking (70 years later) restitution of their assets, and particularly Stoelzle family businesses stolen by an Austrian bank, which is still active.
M

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »
To answer Emil's question regarding designer, the first currently recorded designer for the factory, is @ 1940, prior to which, the most useful account, Jiri Lavicka's compilation "Historie Hermanova hut' " does not identify any of the pre-war designers.

But this is pattern number 19286.
M

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »
Brilliant, thanks for the info, Marcus! 

...working on it...

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »
V definitely Czech, Hermannshutte............
See the book and CDR, and particularly p 23 of the book.
Both Stoelzle and Inwald had head offices in Wien, but that does not make them Austrian, or by inference, German. In the light of subsequent Nazi actions towards both Jewish families, one should be very careful of how one classifies/refers to, this glass, and indeed, the families.
Certain family members are still seeking (70 years later) restitution of their assets, and particularly Stoelzle family businesses stolen by an Austrian bank, which is still active.
M

Thanks Marcus and Dirk, you guys rock! I really appreciate your help!

With regarding to the quote above, which I might misunderstand, is there anything we/I as collectors/consumers of these products can do to help or minimize the negative aspects of this interest?

Best regards
Emil

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi Emil,
Collectors have no responsibility for the actions of others. I believe from family members that, without new legislation from the Austrian government, in addition to legal procedures currently in progress, (particularly with regard to the misappropriation of Hermanova hut',) the issues may never be resolved.
M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand