No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Pieces - Yes or No  (Read 7115 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
Mod: This thread has been created from posts in a discussion on a paperweight that was queried as a possible Mdina item. The original discussion included examples of Mdina vases as an aid for colour comparisons with the paperweight. Then things moved on to a general query on various Mdina vases and that is what has resulted in the following fascinating posts.

Now that two of what I thought were Mdina are not would you be so kind to cast your eye over all my unmarked pieces and let me know if anything dodgy stands out,thanks,Keith.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »
They only odd bit is the vase with the white insidey bits and the blue casing (centre of the second image) - it might be either Mtarfa or Phoenecian, rather than Mdina.
The chevron pattern in some bits I believe, is a design by Joseph Said. Tiger was designed by Eric Dobson - these are post-Harris.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
One more question then I promise to shut up(for a while).The small vase on the left,marked Mdina,we've had for some time the other was given to us recently and I presumed it to be the same but then noticed the sticker which says Mtarfa,which came first the round or the square?the Mtarfa looks older to me.Also thought the large vase was Mdina but after posting it on the GMB I was told otherwise,can't remember who said,any idea where it's from?Keith.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
The splodgy stuff is a bit later than my interest, Keith, and I've not seen a square Mtarfa before, but given Mtarfa was set up by Paul Said, Joseph Said's brother, and they both trained at Mdina as MH's apprentices, I would imagine that in general, this style was started at Mdina and continued at Mtarfa, but I would still have no idea which of these two came first - I don't know how long this style was made at Mdina.

Does your big cloudy ambery bottle have a round ground pontil mark? It certainly looks like early (as in Harris/Boffo) period to me.

I have a large bottle like this, with a huge stopper, in blues and yellows, also some smaller, tall bottle decanters in this cloudy style, and another bottle in Earthtones, in a particular style of the design, many of which come with round ground pontil makrs, and while i have no official confirmation, I strpngly suspect they mught be Boffo. I also have a small round vase in the same colours as your bottle, with a similar patern in it to this unusual Earthtones design, but with the remnants of an old Mdina sticker on it. I'm convinced it's Mdina. An early bit.

Always happy to help!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
What would I do without you,thanks again,yes the bottle has a ground out pontil mark,so it can stay with the rest of the Mdina,ta oh so much,Keith.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
That would confirm the Harris/Boffo period then.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
 :) Sue and Adam, many thanks.

Offline keith

• Members
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
Can see the similarity with that diagonal band of colour,does anyone know where they're from?Keith.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
We never came to a conclusion about the bottle, and we've not had any comments from Mark or Ron.
The bottle is far more early Mdina-y than the weight, I wouldn't even venture to say they're from the same place.

The colour of the bottle is more distinctive of early studio glass.
Silver salts were used in the early days of the RCA and the Glasshouse, as was an amethyst coloured glass melted in the pot. I have been wondering if the bottle might be something from there and then.

The applied foot completely throws me, and I wouldn't actually rule Mdina out, I just haven't ruled it in.

I think the weight is far more contemporary.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Mdina Pieces - Yes or No
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
Is the colour in the foot a reflection? I am wondering if the foot is actually clear....
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand