No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Restoration / re-polishing  (Read 1571 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
Restoration / re-polishing
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
For GMB members in Australia / New Zealand (or further afield!) ... Can anyone recommend someone in this part of the world who will undertake re-polishing / restoration work on our valued treasures? Any leads gratefully accepted.
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Restoration / re-polishing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »
Hi peter

I can't give a direct lead, but here are some thoughts.

If it is a really top quality piece it might even be worth sending it to the UK or USA.  Polishing is going to cost anywhere from £25 to £60, depending upon the nature and degree of damage, plus extra if it needs facetting or a concave base cleaning up - and it is rarely a quick operation!  Antique paperweights made of lead glass are softer, easier to polish, and bruises tend to be shallower.

Modern weights are usually harder, and particulary in the case of earlier Paul Ysart weights, more prone to cracking during polishing if there is any latent damage.  Hertzian ring cracks, if you will pardon the technical term, are not always visible to the naked eye, and can reveal themselves on polishing:  a weight that has 'just the odd scratch' can reveal significant bruises beneath the scratch, or elsewhere, once the surface is disturbed.

It is also worth checking whether the polisher uses water lubricated diamond belts - which tend to run cooler - rather than cork / cloth / felt mops, as the heat of the latter can occasionally cause stress fractures.

Hope this helps

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:26:52 PM »
Alan

Thanks for all this; knowledge, advice and tips that are useful as I consider restoration for the first time.  The prospect of revealing further damage was something that I hadn't realised. (Thanks too for the prompt to learn about Hertzian* stress forces, cones, contact theory, etc. .. I'm still reading! )

Wary of the risks, I'd planned to trial any local polisher with a less-precious piece.  Your advice gives me some additional questions to ask before committing anything.  Even so, for more valuable items or complex work, the recognised workers in the UK and US undoubtedly offer safer options.

Thank you once again.

* An addition for the site's spell-check dictionary ..?
Peter

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

You may want to ask here: http://www.ausglass.org.au/  These are professional glass workers and should know who would have to skills and equipment.

As a side comment I spent four hours on Saturday having a go at polishing four of my own paperweights.  I can only call the results amateurish and I have a new and solid respect for the folks who do this work professionally.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:46:26 PM »
Thanks for the lead, Ann.

And with regard to trying oneself ..You're braver than me!

Best wishes
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand