No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960.  (Read 19020 times)

Offline Formgiva

• Members
    • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FORMGiVA
Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 11:38:46 AM »
And me too...(More guilty of sweeping statements)  :oops:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 05:30:58 PM »
Quote from: "Formgiva"
I would really appreciated any links to info on glassmaking especially the scandinavian hand blown output, that anyone can offer, as I think it is about time I learn't a bit more... :wink:

Formgiva, why not have a look at the Venini website? Not Scandi I know, but it does have the most amazing collection of videos to watch - showing how their different types of glass are made. If you are not on broadband these are a little heavy, so in that case ask for them on CD-ROM - they will send this to you free of charge - again the link for this is on the website. http://www.venini.com

Hope this helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Formgiva

• Members
    • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FORMGiVA
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 05:34:57 PM »
i sent off for that CD last week...very excited, thank you for taking the time to reply...

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 03:57:29 PM »
Formgiva,

for info PU 449 just popped up (40 min ago) for sale on:

http://potteryglass.com/autumn-preview.htm

$795

taylog1

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
Hiya!

I'm lucky enough to have acquired a 12" tall, very dark blue Kraka vase. I have been reading this thread, and I've got Ivo's book out and have looked under Orrefors and Kraka, but still can't work out what the marks on my vase mean.

It's marked "Orrefors, Kraka Pu 322, Sven Palmquist". I've gathered that the P is Palmquist, the u is oven.

p81 of Ivo's book has the numbers; 278=1954, 329=1955...

Surely I've not managed to acquire one dating between these years???????? :o

I assume it would not have been made by Sven Palmquist himself, or actually signed by him, it's just the designer's name written on it, isn't it?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/more%20glass/Kraka1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/more%20glass/Kraka3.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »
sequential numbering means the first one made in 1954 was # 278, the first one in 1955 was #329 - meaning yours dates from just before Christmas, 1954.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
 :dance:

Wow. Please, pick me up off the floor.

I sort of thought that was what the numbers meant, I just couldn't quite believe it!

It has a small bruise, which was how I was able to afford it, but absolutely no other damage - not even tiny surface scratches.

It's fabulous and beautiful and I'm stunned to realise I actually own something as amazing as this.

Thanks very much indeed, Ivo.  :-*
Can I assume, though, that it was neither made or signed by the man himself?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 06:54:31 PM »
Hi:

The number 322 struck a chord with me so I went off to look at my Kraka, which I found to be numbered 322 also. I went to Wickman and found that there are two series of numbers. The first are as Ivo described but with no P or PU. After 1960, Kraka was brought into production as a series, and they are marked P or PU with the three numbers indicating a particular model made in multiple copies. PU 322 is a vase. So I think yours is after 1960 but before 1986, the year Kraka was discontinued. Palmquist made neither group, and I don't believe he signed them.

I'm not sure which mine is as it seems to read "Nr 322,' or a very sloppy "Pu 322." I'll attach a photo.

PS My vase is 13" tall and a mid blue at the top.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
 :spls:
Now I'm confuddled again!

Yours looks to me to read Nr, mine clearly reads Pu.
I'm simply curious about the date mine was made, later or earlier, I still love it and am absolutely delighted to own it. I really didn't think it would have been made or signed by Sven Palmquist, thanks for the confirmation. Scandinavian glass is not my main interest, but because of it's importance, I really wanted to have a good example of it. I do!

Ivo's "Fact file a-z" (p.81)
says production of Kraka was from 1944-1972 and lists numbers and corresponding years.
Then he says;
"Serial production of Kraka from 1952 bears the number 3.363, 3.365,
3.366 or 3.367."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that your vase is post 1960. Like you, I don't think it makes a difference as it's a gorgeous piece. I could live with a bruise. In fact, my other Kraka piece has an internal fracture near the top, which lead to me getting it for $9.99. I still display it.

I took my information from a chapter by Ulrika Ruding, "Signatures techniques and designers," in Wickman, 'Orrefors.' Rereading Ruding, she says that production of unique pieces continued after 1960, at the same time as they were making multiples of some designs.

I also have 'Glas in Scweden' by Ricke, which Ivo quotes as a source of his information. However, it's in German, which I don't understand at all. However, it does seem to show the original series inscribed with an 'Nr' before the number. I couldn't usually afford this level of glass(you can take me out of Scotland but you can't take....). It was on an online auction with a ridiculously low starting bid. I put in a bid and was the only bidder.

Perhaps Ivo will drop by again and clarify for us.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand